RE: [orthodox-rocor] Digest Number 1170

  • Aleksandr Andreev
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2005
      "I don't think it matters one iota to God Almighty when we honor His birth"

      But it matters to our salvation whether or not we keep the feasts of the
      Church properly.

      "That whoever does not follow the customs of the Church as the Seven Holy
      Ecumenical Councils decreed, and Holy Pascha, and the Menologion with which
      they did well in making it a law that we should follow it ... let him suffer
      anathema and be put out of the Church of Christ and out of the Congregation
      of the Faithful."

      -Sigillion of 1583.

      Aleksandr Andreev
      Duke University
      aleksandr.andreev@...
      http://www.duke.edu/~aa63/
    • aggreen1
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
        ***Interesting. This is the first time I've seen this particular
        quote (it doesn't seem to be a canon) used to indicate that the
        Church should not use the Gregorian Calendar. The quote is dated a
        year after the Gregorian Calendar was introduced, but a loooong time
        before its use in Orthodoxy was even considered.

        Al

        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Aleksandr Andreev"