OCA and ROCOR/MP

  • morechof
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      When ROCOR and the MP become one, will ROCOR inturn be in Eucharistic
      Communion with the OCA? Will OCA clergy be able to serve in ROCOR
      parishes and along with ROCOR clergy and vice-versa?

      I assume MP clergy will be able to serve in ROCOR parishes and ROCOR
      clergy will be able to serve in MP parishes.

      Are there talks to have Patriarch Alexy visit ROCOR parishes once
      ROCOR/MP are one?

      Michael Orechoff
      California
    • Gilbert Gamboa

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "morechof" <morechoff@a...> wrote:

          > When ROCOR and the MP become one, will ROCOR inturn be in Eucharistic
          > Communion with the OCA? Will OCA clergy be able to serve in ROCOR
          > parishes and along with ROCOR clergy and vice-versa?

          As I understand it, this question is completely separate from the
          possible establishment of eucharistic communion between ROCOR and the
          MP. It has been reported that Met. HERMAN, when asking about "a place
          at the negotiating table" with ROCOR and the MP was told, in effect,
          "This is strictly a matter for the Russian Church." (I have no way of
          verifying if this is, indeed, correct.)

          > I assume MP clergy will be able to serve in ROCOR parishes and ROCOR
          > clergy will be able to serve in MP parishes.

          This is also my understanding.

          > Are there talks to have Patriarch Alexy visit ROCOR parishes once
          > ROCOR/MP are one?

          To my knowledge, this has not been discussed. This should not be
          surprising, as it would be premature to issue an invitation, or even
          discuss the possibility, before a decision had been made to restore
          eucharistic communion by the ROCOR Synod of Bishops. At such time
          that this restoration takes place it would, I think, be appropriate to
          make such an invitation. I'd think that, if he is able to travel, the
          Patriarch would be interested in making an official visit.

          Let me add that I do not speak in any way for the leadership of ROCOR.
          Rather, I am simply a priest in a small parish on the fringe of the
          Western American Diocese. No one should take what I have said to be
          anything other than my opinion, or reporting of what I have heard
          openly discussed during meetings of our diocesan clergy.

          unworthy Priest John McCuen
          Holy Archangels Orthodox Church (ROCOR)
          Phoenix, AZ
        • Gilbert Gamboa
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2005

            In 1982, the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia was blessed with a miracle through one of its pious members. Brother Joseph (José) Muñoz-Cortez, an Orthodox Christian and iconographer, along with two other pilgrims, traveled to Mount Athos. The following is Brother José's story of how this beautiful icon made its way from the Holy Mountain to Montreal, Canada.

                  One day during our pilgrimage to Mount Athos, after several hours walking, we found ourselves lost, unable to find the way back to our lodging for the night. As it was already growing dark, we decided that no matter what, we had to find a place to stay. Following the path, we chanced upon a small, poor kellion -- not far from the monastery -- which was said to be an iconographic studio, with fourteen Greek monks. They gladly took us in, and we spent some time looking at the icons they had painted on the walls and easels. While my companion, who spoke Greek, entered into conversation with the monks and told them who we were, I took advantage of the moment to examine everything around us more closely -- when I saw a marvelously-done icon, about 15 to 20 inches.

                  I asked one of the monks whether he could give me this icon. He bluntly refused, saying that this was the first icon ever painted in this skete and it was not for sale. Although I continued to examine the other icons, I could not restrain myself from looking at this wonderful image; in the end, I could not take my eyes from it.

                  We spent the night in the skete, and returned for the Holy Liturgy at the monastery, where I fell to my knees during the hymn It is Truly Meet and besought the Queen of Heaven to permit me to have her sacred image with me...

                  When we left that morning, all the monks came out to say farewell, but the abbot was not among them. Just at the last moment, we saw him run down the steps with the icon, wrapped up, in his hands. He came up to me with the words, "Take her, I give her to you, she must go with you!" I proposed to pay for the icon, knowing the poverty of their situation, but he did not want to take anything and firmly said, "One is not allowed to take money for her sacred things."
            Brother José
                  I felt chills and my nerves tingled, I sensed that something remarkable had happened, something miraculous. I began fervently to cross myself and made a solemn vow that I would never use this icon to make money.

                  We soon came to the Iviron Monastery to receive the blessing of the Proistamenos, and I decided to touch the icon that I had received to its Original found in this monastery, the Iviron Theotokos. But I knew that this was a rare privilege and would require special permission. But a miracle occurred! The caretaker agreed to open the chapel and the enclosure, and we went in, fell to our knees, and with great reverence beheld the icon and immersed ourselves in prayer. The image was so magnificent -- as if it radiated beauty, pouring forth such spiritual power, that it was difficult to gaze for long upon her. A hieromonk helped me touch our copy icon to the Original, and my entire being clearly sensed that the Queen of Heaven gave us her blessing for our trip.

                  Soon afterward we left Athos, and returned to Montreal on November 3, 1982. The icon was placed with many relics of the Saints from the Kiev Caves Lavra and relics of the New Martyr Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, which I had received from the reposed Vladyka Leonty. Day and night a lamp burned over them and I would read the Akathist to the Mother of God each night.

                  On the twenty-fourth of November, I was awakened at three in the morning by a strong fragrance of roses that filled my cell. I thought that the fragrance came from the holy relics. But when I approached the icon, I was astounded to find that a golden myrrh flowed from her. I stood rooted to the spot by such a miracle.

            http://mail.yahoo.com