WII MEMORY TO INSPIRE ANTI-TERROR CAUSE: RUSSIAN CHURCH PRIMATE

  • Jacqueline
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2005
      WII MEMORY TO INSPIRE ANTI-TERROR CAUSE: RUSSIAN CHURCH PRIMATE

      MOSCOW, March 9 (RIA Novosti) - The 9th World Russian Popular Council took start today
      at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, Moscow's principal shrine, under the motto, "Unity of
      nations and persons is an earnest of victory over fascism and terrorism". Alexis II the
      Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia-Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church, made an
      opening address to the gathering.

      Memory of Russia's Great Patriotic War against nazi Germany (1941-45) will help us
      oppose terrorism, said His Beatitude.

      "We must spare no efforts for a rebuff to attempts to treat aggressors on a par with those
      who fought them. We must do all we can for our grateful memory of those who fought a
      victorious war in the ranks of the world's strongest army to protect the human race from
      more acts of mutual extermination.

      "The ideas of global dictatorship and terrorism have no lost their grip on many minds.

      "We are to see just what we can do to oppose terrorism, preserve steady peace between
      nations as the most precious fruit of the Victory, and revive the ideal of national unity and
      staunch spirit, which was displayed during the war.

      "Victory in the Great Patriotic War cemented Russia.

      "Victory in World War II brought the Eastern Christian nations of Europe closer together,
      enhanced the influence of the Russian Church, and made it possible to establish
      autocephalous Orthodox Churches in Poland and Czechoslovakia," said the Patriarch.

      ========

      Is it just me? Everything he says feels contrary to my being. This man conveniently leaves
      out the fact that communism spread to eastern europe and that the bolsheviks were
      terrorists too.
    • Fr. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2005
        Regarding:

        > Is it just me? Everything he says feels contrary to my being. This man conveniently leaves
        > out the fact that communism spread to eastern europe and that the bolsheviks were
        > terrorists too.

        JRS: Yes, communism killed as many people in Russia as did World War II (but the second
        World War cost the lives of 20 million Russians).

        Initially, when Hitler invaded Russia, people simply surrendered, unwilling to defend the
        Soviet regime. But then, when they found that the Nazis were killing Russians and people
        wholesale, they decided to resist after all.

        Virtually every Russian family lost someone in World War II.

        In Christ
        Fr. John R. Shaw
      • aggreen1
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2005
          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. John R. Shaw"
          <vrevjrs@e...> wrote:

          > Regarding:
          >
          > > Is it just me? Everything he says feels contrary to my being.
          This man conveniently leaves
          > > out the fact that communism spread to eastern europe and that the
          bolsheviks were
          > > terrorists too.
          >
          > JRS: Yes, communism killed as many people in Russia as did World
          War II (but the second
          > World War cost the lives of 20 million Russians).
          >
          > Initially, when Hitler invaded Russia, people simply surrendered,
          unwilling to defend the
          > Soviet regime. But then, when they found that the Nazis were
          killing Russians and people
          > wholesale, they decided to resist after all.
          >
          > Virtually every Russian family lost someone in World War II.
          >
          > In Christ
          > Fr. John R. Shaw

          ***And let's not forget that Stalin enlisted the help of the
          Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus to instill patriotism and a greater
          will to fight during the Siege of Stalingrad.