Re: [orthodox-rocor] Patriarch Bartholomew on the ImmaculateConception

  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2005
      From: "Nicholas Trahan" <ntrahan@...>

      > WOW! Patriarch Bartholomew said something ORTHODOX! Is he feeling well?

      Acquaint yourself with his famous "Friends, Romans, Heretics" speech
      delivered at Georgetown University in 1997. The Jesuits were aghast at his
      lack of ecumenical finesse !!!

      http://www.geocities.com/trvalentine/orthodox/bartholomew_phos.html

      Fr Ambrose
      _______________________

      > Nicholas Trahan
      >
      > > From: <emrys@...>
      > > Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 22:10:41 +1300
      > > To: <orthodoxnews@yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: [orthodox-rocor] Patriarch Bartholomew on the Immaculate
      Conception

      > > In the interview that follows 30Days asks Bartholomew I, Ecumenic
      Patriarch
      > > of Constantinople, to comment on the Immaculate Conception.
      > >
      > > Full text of interview at
      > > http://www.30giorni.it/us/articolo.asp?id=6794
      > >
      > > Interviewer: The Catholic Church this year celebrates the hundred and
      > > fiftieth anniversary of the proclamation of the dogma of the Immaculate
      > > Conception. How does the Eastern Christian and Byzantine Tradition
      celebrate
      > > the Conception of Mary and her full and immaculate holiness?
      > >
      > > Bartholomew I: The Catholic Church found that it needed to institute a
      new
      > > dogma for Christendom about one thousand and eight hundred years after
      the
      > > appearance of the Christianity, because it had accepted a perception of
      > > original sin - a mistaken one for us Orthodox - according to which
      original
      > > sin passes on a moral stain or a legal responsibility to the descendants
      of
      > > Adam, instead of that recognized as correct by the Orthodox faith -
      > > according to which the sin transmitted through inheritance the
      corruption,
      > > caused by the separation of mankind from the uncreated grace of God,
      which
      > > makes him live spiritually and in the flesh. Mankind shaped in the image
      of
      > > God, with the possibility and destiny of being like to God, by freely
      > > choosing love towards Him and obedience to his commandments, can even
      after
      > > the fall of Adam and Eve become friend of God according to intention;
      then
      > > God sanctifies them, as he sanctified many of the progenitors before
      Christ,
      > > even if the accomplishment of their ransom from corruption, that is
      their
      > > salvation, was achieved after the incarnation of Christ and through Him.
      > >
      > > In consequence, according to the Orthodox faith, Mary the All-holy
      Mother of
      > > God was not conceived exempt from the corruption of original sin, but
      loved
      > > God above of all things and obeyed his commandments, and thus was
      sanctified
      > > by God through Jesus Christ who incarnated himself of her. She obeyed
      Him
      > > like one of the faithful, and addressed herself to Him with a Mother's
      > > trust. Her holiness and purity were not blemished by the corruption,
      handed
      > > on to her by original sin as to every man, precisely because she was
      reborn
      > > in Christ like all the saints, sanctified above every saint.
      > >
      > > Her reinstatement in the condition prior to the Fall did not necessarily
      > > take place at the moment of her conception. We believe that it happened
      > > afterwards, as consequence of the progress in her of the action of the
      > > uncreated divine grace through the visit of the Holy Spirit, which
      brought
      > > about the conception of the Lord within her, purifying her from every
      stain.

      > > As already said, original sin weighs on the descendants of Adam and of
      Eve
      > > as corruption, and not as legal responsibility or moral stain. The sin
      > > brought hereditary corruption and not a hereditary legal responsibility
      or a
      > > hereditary moral stain. In consequence the All-holy participated in the
      > > hereditary corruption, like all mankind, but with her love for God and
      her
      > > purity - understood as an imperturbable and unhesitating dedication of
      her
      > > love to God alone - she succeeded, through the grace of God, in
      sanctifying
      > > herself in Christ and making herself worthy of becoming the house of
      God, as
      > > God wants all us human beings to become. Therefore we in the Orthodox
      Church