ROCiE Now Calling Itself ROCOR (ROCA).

  • aggreen1
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
      ***Has anyone noticed that Metropolitan Vitaly's Mansonville group in
      Canada has changed the name of their web site to the "Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside Russia"? Although the URL has not been
      changed, they have changed tha name of the church and web site to
      conflict with the real ROCOR. What confusion does this cause?

      http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/engindex.html

      Al
    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
        From: "aggreen1" <aggreen1@...>

        > ***Has anyone noticed that Metropolitan Vitaly's Mansonville group in
        > Canada has changed the name of their web site to the "Russian
        > Orthodox Church Outside Russia"? Although the URL has not been
        > changed, they have changed tha name of the church and web site to
        > conflict with the real ROCOR. What confusion does this cause?
        > http://www.russianorthodoxchurchinexile.com/engindex.html

        And their Russian page gives them as
        Russkaya Pravoslavnaya Tserkov' Zagranitsey
        The Russisn Orthodox Church Abroad

        In this country it is not allowed to register an organisation with the same
        name as another or with a name which is too similar and may cause confusion.
        Is there a similar law for the States or Canada?

        Fr Ambrose
        ---
      • Maureen Girard
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "aggreen1" <aggreen1@y...>
          wrote:

          > ***Has anyone noticed that Metropolitan Vitaly's Mansonville group
          in
          > Canada has changed the name of their web site to the "Russian
          > Orthodox Church Outside Russia"? Although the URL has not been
          > changed, they have changed tha name of the church and web site to
          > conflict with the real ROCOR. What confusion does this cause?>>

          I doubt there is much confusion. After all, they seem to be self-
          destructing. They are now down to 4 clergyman in this country.
          Maybe, I should say 3 because a deacon cannot serve independently.

          Those folks have lost a lot of people.
          Maureen
        • aggreen1
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
            --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, <emrys@g...> wrote:

> [...]

            ***I know that in the U.S. there are like laws. For instance, the
            name (my real name) by which most people know me is "Al Green." if I
            were a singer and turned professional, I would not be able to use
            this name. There already is a professional singer by that name. And
            I've seen news items about major corporations suing smaller
            corporations for having names that are similar (not identical).