Prayers Requested for Father Victor Sokolov

  • aggreen1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      From: VRev. Victor Sokolov rector@...
      Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:42:50 -0800
      To: news@...
      Subject: Personal announcement

      Personal announcement

      Dearly beloved,

      As many of you already know, lately I have experience some health
      problems. Around Thanksgiving, I began feeling pain in my left side,
      then shortness of breath and coughing... Eventually, a CT scan
      detected
      a lump in my left lungs, but the right is also affected. Then,
      through various scans and tests, the malignancy of this growth has
      been established. The diagnose is, "non-small [squamous] cell
      carcinoma." The cancer is in a rather advanced stage and already
      metastasized into ribs, hip, and elsewhere. Now the fight starts.

      As soon as the news began to spread, I was astonished at the
      outpouring of loving support for me and my family. His Beatitude
      Metropolitan HERMAN called to express his prayerful support. My
      ruling hierarch, Bishop TIKHON of San Francisco offered some
      extremely moving expressions of his loving care and paternal concern.
      Bishop NIKOLAI of Sitka called to assure me in his prayers; and my
      good old friend, Bishop BENJAMIN of Berkeley calls often, to see how
      I am doing, and to offer his assistance and support. The Chancellor
      of the Church, the Protopresbyter Robert Kondratick was among the
      first to call and generously offered his support, and promised to
      provide what ever help would be needed. My district dean, the
      Archpriest Basil Rhodes tirelessly works the telephone and e-mail,
      making sure that all my brother-priests know about my struggle and
      pray for me. Together with Bishop BENJAMIN, they arranged the Holy
      Unction service for me that will take place January 9th. And many,
      many other priests and parishioners have showered me with assurances
      of their loving, prayerful support. Frankly, I never knew how much
      love is there. The darker the night the more stars shine in the sky...

      Since I have breathing difficulties and have lost my voice, I cannot
      presently offer Divine services. The last Divine Liturgy I was
      granted to celebrate was on the feast day of the Glorification of St.
      Herman of Alaska and the day of the blessed repose of the
      ever-memorable Father Alexander Schmemann. Hopefully, by their
      prayers, God will allow me to resume serving. Meanwhile, Bishop
      BENJAMIN of Berkeley and Fr. David Lowell are taking care of my
      beloved parish, seeing that its liturgical schedule is preserved in
      cathedral fullness.

      Just as an expectant woman constantly attends to her inner self,
      excitedly "listening" to the new life that is growing and maturing
      within her, a sick person is tempted, with anxiety and alarm, to
      monitor the growth and spread of illness within his body. Your love
      and friendship are tremendously helpful in turning attention from the
      last enemy - death - towards life. Love is life, for God is love.

      Please keep my wife Barbara, our children, and me in your holy
      prayers.

      I love you all and am grateful to God for every one of you.

      In Christ the Giver of Life,

      Cathedral Archpriest Victor Sokolov
    • DDD
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        Dear Al,

        �May God help Fr. Victor, his wife and his children in this trial! �

        --Dimitra

        �From: "aggreen1" <aggreen1@...>�Subject: Prayers Requested for
        �Father Victor Sokolov