Photo Exhibit of Orthodox Churches in China
Only one preserved Orthodox church functions in China
Only one of the preserved Orthodox churches functions in China. It
is located in Harbin and is dedicated to the Protection of the Most
Holy Theotokos. The rest are used as museums, showrooms, storage
facilities and restaurants. Their fate is recounted in the photo
exhibit, "Russian Orthodox Churches in China", that opened in St.
Petersburg's Shuvalovsky Palace, reports a correspondent of "Portal-
Orthodox architecture in the present CPR is tied to the founding of
the Russian Spiritual Mission in Peking and the prolonged stay in
Northeastern China of a large number of Rusians: first in connection
with the building of the Chinese-Eastern railroad at the turn of the
XIX-XX centuries, and in the 1920s - as a result of emigration.
The exposition gives an idea of the apperance of 19 of the best known
churches, built in 1880-1941. Half of them were lost during the
years of China's "cultural revolution" of 1960s. According to
exhibition organizers, Chinese society nurtures the idea of restoring
the St. Nicholas Church, which adorned Harbin and which was was
brought down by the Maoists.