Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: Martial Arts and the Church

  • J.E. Powers
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 13 5:36 PM
      However, many martial arts
      schools, in imitation of Japanese practice, have a
      "god shelf" or something similar on the premises,
      which all students are expected to bow towards.
      Many also mix pagan spiritual beliefs with the
      physical aspect.

      Athanasios.
      +++++++++

      My son's dojo did not have a god shelf, but the students were asked to bow in and bow out. I told Benjamin not to bow. They also asked students to remove all jewelry. And so, the sensei asked Ben to remove his cross. I told him that his cross was not jewelry and I prefer he left it on.
      -Elizabeth,
      St. Alexander Nevsky Church

    • David Golden
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 13 5:47 PM
        I know of two priests who have studied Tai Chi in Toronto. They are
        both extremely knowledgeable, pious men. They studied the marshal art
        form of Tai Chi, not the contemplative.

        Seraphim
      • emrys@globe.net.nz
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 13 6:21 PM
          From: "Athanasios Jayne" <athanasiosj@...>

          > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com,
          > <emrys@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > >It was great sadness to many people to
          > discover that the present edition of the
          > Jordanville Prayer Book has been drastically
          > altered to its detriment.<
          >
          > Of course, by this, Hieromonk Ambrose
          > is (at least in part) referring to material
          > in the later editions wherein the Toll Houses
          > are mentioned--editions which have been
          > approved by our Holy Synod for years.

          Yes, our Holy Synod also "approved" for many years in the Jordanville Prayer
          Book the atrocious Tale of the Five Prayers (is it still in the latest
          editions?)- a magical device, nonetheless with the authority of Saint Dmitri
          of Rostov, which guarantees that Christ will come at death to take the soul
          into eternal life. Pure piffle!

          The Synod almost certainly has exercised insufficient oversight over some of
          the things which have been included in the Jordanville Prayer Book and
          things such as the "Five Prayers" have been included at the whim of
          unsupervised editors.

          Fr Ambrose
          _____________________________
        • aggreen1
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 13 7:08 PM
            --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "J.E. Powers"
            <jepowers70@v...> wrote:
            > However, many martial arts
            > schools, in imitation of Japanese practice, have a
            > "god shelf" or something similar on the premises,
            > which all students are expected to bow towards.
            > Many also mix pagan spiritual beliefs with the
            > physical aspect.
            >
            > Athanasios.
            > +++++++++
            >
            > My son's dojo did not have a god shelf, but the students were asked
            to bow in and bow out. I told Benjamin not to bow. They also asked
            students to remove all jewelry. And so, the sensei asked Ben to
            remove his cross. I told him that his cross was not jewelry and I
            prefer he left it on.
            > -Elizabeth,
            > St. Alexander Nevsky Church

            ***Elizabeth, can I assume that the "dojo" backed off?

            ***When you see John Lukianov, please tell him "hello" for me.

            Al Green
          • Jennifer Lultschik
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 13 8:19 PM
              On 9/13/04 10:08 PM, "aggreen1" <aggreen1@...> wrote:

              > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "J.E. Powers"
              > <jepowers70@v...> wrote:
              >> However, many martial arts
              >> schools, in imitation of Japanese practice, have a
              >> "god shelf" or something similar on the premises,
              >> which all students are expected to bow towards.
              >> Many also mix pagan spiritual beliefs with the
              >> physical aspect.
              >>
              >> Athanasios.
              >> +++++++++
              >>
              >> My son's dojo did not have a god shelf, but the students were asked
              > to bow in and bow out. I told Benjamin not to bow. They also asked
              > students to remove all jewelry. And so, the sensei asked Ben to
              > remove his cross. I told him that his cross was not jewelry and I
              > prefer he left it on.
              >> -Elizabeth,
              >> St. Alexander Nevsky Church
              >
              > ***Elizabeth, can I assume that the "dojo" backed off?
              >
              > ***When you see John Lukianov, please tell him "hello" for me.
              >
              > Al Green

              My children (and I, at one time) have taken martial arts at more than one
              school and in more than one martial arts tradition. We never patronized
              schools where there was a 'god shelf' or a requirement to bow toward a
              pagan/spiritual 'corner'. Bowing in and out of class was done as a mark of
              respect to the instructor, nothing more. In their current classes, students
              were asked to remove jewelry; my children informed the instructor that their
              crosses were not jewelry, and were assured that wearing their crosses would
              be honored by the school. I have had far more trouble with the gym teachers
              at the Canadian public schools over their crosses! I think that if one
              wishes to take martial arts, the important thing is to seek out a school
              that teaches the physical sport and does not teach any spiritual aspect.
              That would not be acceptable for an Orthodox Christian. There are schools
              available that (certainly to the level that most people achieve) just teach
              the physical sport.

              Katherine L.
              Church of the Nativity

            • J.E. Powers
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 14 5:05 AM
                and does not teach any spiritual aspect.
                That would not be acceptable for an Orthodox Christian. There are schools
                available that (certainly to the level that most people achieve) just teach
                the physical sport.

                Katherine L.
                Church of the Nativity
                +++++++

                I think this was the case in my son's school too, especially since there was no "shelf." The sensei was also a Christian man (not Orthodox though) so perhaps that played a part in it.

                -Elizabeth,
                St. Alexander Nevsky Church

              • J.E. Powers
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 14 5:08 AM
                  ***Elizabeth, can I assume that the "dojo" backed off?

                  ***When you see John Lukianov, please tell him "hello" for me.

                  Al Green
                  ++++++++

                  They did indeed back off.

                  Al - I know several Johns in our church but Lukianov does not sound familiar. I'm at St. Alexander Nevsky in Richmond, Maine.
                  -Elizabeth

                • aggreen1
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 14 5:38 AM
                    <jepowers70@v...> wrote:
                    > ***Elizabeth, can I assume that the "dojo" backed off?
                    >
                    > ***When you see John Lukianov, please tell him "hello" for me.
                    >
                    > Al Green
                    > ++++++++
                    >
                    > They did indeed back off.
                    >
                    > Al - I know several Johns in our church but Lukianov does not sound
                    familiar. I'm at St. Alexander Nevsky in Richmond, Maine.
                    > -Elizabeth

                    ***I was referring to the son of the protopresbyter at St. Alexander
                    Nevsky Cathedral in Lakewood, NJ. John L. is a friend...we worked
                    together as technical writers for several years at Lucent
                    Technologies.

                    Al
                  • Athanasios Jayne
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 15 5:38 AM
                      Dear Hieromonk Ambrose,

                      Could you be a little more explicit?
                      Has permission for a reprint been
                      granted by Holy Trinity Monastery
                      (which, I have been told, is the
                      copyright holder).

                      Thank you.

                      Athanasios.
                    • emrys@globe.net.nz
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 15 5:43 AM
                        From: "Athanasios Jayne" <athanasiosj@...>

                        > Dear Hieromonk Ambrose,
                        >
                        > Could you be a little more explicit?
                        > Has permission for a reprint been
                        > granted by Holy Trinity Monastery
                        > (which, I have been told, is the
                        > copyright holder).

                        Saint George Orthodox Information Service in the UK informs that permission
                        was granted by the First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad His Eminence
                        Metropolitan Lavr.

                        ______________________________________
                      • emrys@globe.net.nz
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 15 5:49 AM
                          From: "Athanasios Jayne" <athanasiosj@...>

                          > Could you be a little more explicit?
                          > Has permission for a reprint been
                          > granted by Holy Trinity Monastery
                          > (which, I have been told, is the
                          > copyright holder).

                          I think that Fr Lazarus' first editions were published by himself in the
                          1950s when he was in Madras. Whether he then transferred/gifted/sold the
                          copyright to Jordanville (would that be some sort of Charitable Trust or
                          Registered Company?) I do not know. Maybe someone on the list may know? Fr
                          John?

                          Fr Ambrose
                          ________________________
                        • Fr. John R. Shaw
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 15 8:33 AM
                            Regarding:

                            > I think that Fr Lazarus' first editions were published by himself in
                            the
                            > 1950s when he was in Madras. Whether he then transferred/gifted/sold
                            the
                            > copyright to Jordanville (would that be some sort of Charitable Trust
                            or
                            > Registered Company?) I do not know. Maybe someone on the list may
                            know? Fr
                            > John?

                            JRS: Fr. Lazarus published his *Psalter*, along with some other
                            material, in Madras, but in the late 1960's.

                            The *Jordanville Prayerbook*, with his translations, was published only
                            by Holy Trinity Monastery in 1960, and although it does not
                            say "copyright", the flyleaf says that it was published by the Print
                            Shop of St. Job of Pochaev, with the blessing of the Russian Orthodox
                            Church Outside Russia.

                            It also does *not* bear Fr. Lazarus' name anywhere in the book, so even
                            though his translations were followed, it was clearly a "Jordanville",
                            rather than a "Fr.-Lazarus", edition.

                            Later it was reissued by photo-offset in Japan, through, I believe,
                            the efforts of the late Protodeacon Nikita Chakiroff -- who was
                            Metropolitan Philaret's personal attendant.

                            The original text was clearly set in type at Jordanville. I used to
                            work in the printery there myself as a seminarian, and recognize the
                            typeface that was used there for most English-language texts.

                            In Christ
                            Fr. John R. Shaw
                          • mik opar
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 13, 2004
                              Al - I know several Johns in our church but Lukianov does not sound familiar. I'm at St. Alexander Nevsky in Richmond, Maine.
                              -Elizabeth

                              Dear Elizabeth, I spoke once with your Priest...a Fr Chad I believe and also is Mrs, Lepushenko still attending there, here husband was a Russian stove mason?? Mike Wurzbacher....Tranfiguration of Our Lord ROC, Baltimore, Md thanks,,,,,mik

                            • J.E. Powers
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 18, 2004