RE: [orthodox-rocor] New discovery in China shows influence of Nestorian Christianity

  • David Starr
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2001
      Dear Fr. John et al.:
      XPICTOC BBOCKPECE!
      Kuanyin is not strictly-speaking a god in traditional Buddhism, but an
      emanation of the Boddhisattva ("enlightenment being", Avalokiteshvara. The
      "gods" of India function in Buddhist cosmology as finite but powerful
      sentient beings, who are said to have been converted to Buddhism by the
      preaching of Sidhartha Gautama, known as "Buddha"--a name which means "the
      awakened" or "the enlightened one." He is said to have been a human being
      who realized truths about human suffering, giving rise to compassion.
      Neither he nor the "gods" who populate the Buddhist universe are in any real
      sense rivals to the true God. Boddhisattvas are understood to be human
      beings who achieved such excellence that they became personifications of
      such virtues as wisdom and compassion. Of these, Avalokiteshvara (whose name
      means "hearer of the cries [of the suffering world]") became very popular in
      Tibet under the name, Chenrezig. His enlightenment was thought to have been
      such that he could appear in many guises for the benefit of mankind; one of
      these was a feminine manifestation, named "Tara." She is perhaps the
      original of which Kuanyin in China is a development. Such beings function
      analogously to saints, inasmuch as they are thought to be men whose
      spiritual attainments enabled them to do good in supernaturally potent ways.
      None of this has a thing to do with the Theotokos, though the imagery of a
      very kind and powerful woman who offers great help to suffering humanity is
      in common. What Buddhism most importantly lacks is a kataphatic
      understanding of the Holy Trinity or the Incarnation of our Lord, God and
      Saviour, Jesus Christ. For all its metaphysical elaboration and subtlety, it
      is a humanistic attempt to generate virtues to help human beings cope with
      the soul-destroying passions and the sufferings attendant upon our sinful
      condition. As such, it has both the sorts of insight and virtue for which
      some of the Holy Fathers saw some Greek philosophers as striving toward our
      Faith; it also comes with cultural tendencies toward idolatry, pride and
      mistaken notions of something like a doctrine of the divinity of man. It is
      very like Platonism in these ways, particularly the late Academy, which
      atttempted to compete with the Church for the souls of Graeco-Roman people.
      Protestant allegations of "influence" are mostly ignorant claims that depend
      entirely on chance similarities; the more one knows, the less weight they
      carry. Kuanyin is probably no more modelled on the Theotokos than She is on
      Kuanyin; the Mother of God the Son according to the flesh is a historical
      woman, while Tara/Kuanyin is evidently a mythic elaboration of Buddhist
      hagiography.
      The "politically correct" multi-cultural spin in the U.S. News story is, of
      course, very ignorant of what the Orthodox Faith truly is, describing
      Nestorianism in terms which partly reflect its similarity to Orthodoxy
      (e.g., an understanding of "original sin" without inherited guilt or a
      helplessly unfree will, and the meatless monastic diet); on the other hand,
      the bias is clearly not conducive to true faith. It suggests that whatever
      was good in Nestorianism must have come from native Chinese tradition. The
      Fordham story, on the other hand is much better. The gospel of Christ may
      have been far better represented in Asia than we know; may it be so.
      HE IS RISEN INDEED!
      In Him, David

    • frjohnwhiteford@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2001
        David Starr wrote:
        > Dear Fr. John et al.:
        > XPICTOC BBOCKPECE!

        Indeed He is risen!

        > Kuanyin is not strictly-speaking a god in traditional
        Buddhism, but an
        > emanation of the Boddhisattva ("enlightenment being",
        Avalokiteshvara.

        I understand that nuance... but in popular Buddhism, it is a nuance
        that is lost on rank and file Buddhists.

        > None of this has a thing to do with the Theotokos, though the
        imagery of a
        > very kind and powerful woman who offers great help to suffering
        humanity is
        > in common.

        I think the archeological evidence would indicate that there is at
        least a good possibility that the popular conception of Guanyin.
        Which was as a male, and only after the advent of the Nestorian
        mission did female images begin to appear.