Re: O Brother! What's Next?

  • Ferguson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2004
      Al
      I agree with your thoughts here... I did the same when
      I first converted... my poor spiritual father should
      have an award for the patience he had (and does) in
      dealing with me :-)... Important for me to try to not
      focus on if someone is in heresy or in sin but how am
      I separating myself from myself from God... I leave
      heresy and a number of other issues for hierarchs to
      debate I have way to much other stuff to deal with...
      how do we show and bring the love of God to this
      person I see or have some connection with... how can I
      help someone to live better... our Lord won't ask us
      did we properly condemn our brother but did we love
      them well did we try to bring them in to the warmth of
      the fire...

      Nektarios

      > Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:45:34 -0000
      > From: "aggreen1" <aggreen1@...>
      > Subject: Re: ] O Brother! What's Next?
      >
      > Technically, to be a heretic from the True Faith,
      > one must first be
      > Orthodox, then repudiate Orthodoxy directly (with
      > words) or
      > by "converting" to another religious belief system
      > with different
      > teachings that are heretical. Certainly, the Roman
      > Catholic Church
      > contains lots of heresies, but I do not believe that
      > everyone who
      > grows up in the RCC faith and known nothing else by
      > RCism can be
      > considered a "heretic." I wince when I see what I
      > consider as self-
      > righteous Orthodox Christians (especially the
      > clergy) call anyone and
      > everyone who is not Orthodox a "heretic." I tended
      > to do this myself
      > for a long time after I converted to the True Faith.
      > But it's wrong,
      > and I am ashamed of myself for succumbing to this
      > sort of Orthodox
      > radicalism. Heck, I've even seen traditionalist
      > Orthodox call other
      > Orthodox jurisdictions "heretical." Holy Orthodoxy
      > does, indeed, have
      > some rather interesting skeletons in its closet.
      >
      > Al

      (snip)