Re: [orthodox-rocor] Fwd: [metanoia]

  • volotsky@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2001
      Christ is Risen!

      There exists a custom in some places back east, espescially in Pennsylvania,
      of visiting other Churches besides one's own on Holy Friday, and venerating
      the Plaschanitsa in each one. It is some times called "grave hopping".

      In the Scranton area, it is the day to cover jurisdictional barriers, in that
      many from the ROCOR parishes go to the neighboring OCA Churches despite the
      at one time bitter calender disputes. Most of the Churches in that area keep
      an open vigil all night often involving the youth who take turns reading
      before the tomb and visiting neighboring parishes. Every year some of the
      youth and others from St. John the Baptist in Mayfield (ROCOR since '82) go
      to St. Tikhon's and students from St. Tikhon's go to St. John's. I believe
      both the keeping of vigil, as well as the visiting of each other's parishes
      are beautiful customs, and if they express a unity of devotion before the
      Cross and Tomb of the Lord that supercedes the current (hopefull passing)
      disputes, all the better.

      The smell of lilies and rose oil in darkened churches whilst the psalter or
      canons are read and people coma and go making prostrations and praying before
      the Tomb in each Church they can get to is one of the most positive Holy Week
      memories that I have.

      I nam darova zhivot vechniy, poklonyaemsya Ego Tridnevnomu Voskreseniyu!
    • Michael M. Ossorgin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 7:09 PM
        XB!

        Reader Isaac Lambertsen is visiting relatives and asked me to post the
        following reply:

        Bishop Mercury and entourage of clergy did in fact visit the Synod Cathedral
        to venerate the epitaphion, but they did so at a time when no clergy were
        present and only two or three lay clergy were. They made no statements of
        any kind, they just made their veneration and departed. Somebody, perhaps
        more hopeful than factual, has embroidered their account of this incident.
        We should all stick to the facts.

        Yours in our Risen Saviour, Michael on behalf of Reader Isaac