RE: [orthodox-rocor] Miracle-Working Icon

  • Fr. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2004
      Fr. Maximos wrote:

      > I was once hearing confessions in a Church and it was hot, so I had
      > taken my hat off and placed it on a table near the confessional, I
      > turned it upright, so as to let the sweat dry off. After hearing
      > confessions for a long time, I went to put my hat on, and out fell a
      > wad of cash!!!

      JRS: In Jackson, NJ, at St. Vladimir's Memorial Church, long ago there
      were some kindly parishioners who decided that the elderly priest ought
      to have a dog.

      So, without asking him, they took up a collection for the purpose of
      buying him such a pet.

      But when it came time to pick the dog out, the clergyman protested that
      he did not want this.

      As a result, a certain sum of money came to exist that was marked
      as "dog money".

      Someone had read in the Bible that "thou shalt not bring... the price
      of a dog into the house of the Lord thy God..." (Deuteronomy 23:18),
      and so there was a dispute over what to do with the samll sum that had
      been collected. "It would be sacrilege to put it into the general
      church funds..."

      Archbishop Nikon of blessed memory was wont to tell that story, and the
      retelling always amused him!

      In Christ
      Fr. John R. Shaw
    • Father Maximos
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2004
        >Fr. Maximos wrote:
        >
        >> I was once hearing confessions in a Church and it was hot, so I had
        >> taken my hat off and placed it on a table near the confessional, I
        >> turned it upright, so as to let the sweat dry off. After hearing
        >> confessions for a long time, I went to put my hat on, and out fell a
        >> wad of cash!!!
        >
        >JRS: In Jackson, NJ, at St. Vladimir's Memorial Church, long ago there
        >were some kindly parishioners who decided that the elderly priest ought
        >to have a dog.
        >
        >So, without asking him, they took up a collection for the purpose of
        >buying him such a pet.
        >
        >But when it came time to pick the dog out, the clergyman protested that
        >he did not want this.
        >
        >As a result, a certain sum of money came to exist that was marked
        >as "dog money".
        >
        >Someone had read in the Bible that "thou shalt not bring... the price
        >of a dog into the house of the Lord thy God..." (Deuteronomy 23:18),
        >and so there was a dispute over what to do with the samll sum that had
        >been collected. "It would be sacrilege to put it into the general
        >church funds..."
        >
        >Archbishop Nikon of blessed memory was wont to tell that story, and the
        >retelling always amused him!
        >
        >In Christ
        >Fr. John R. Shaw

        That is a great story!!!