Glass cross installed on church in St. Petersburg

  • Al Green
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
      from TODAY'S NEWS http://www.3saints.com

      Cross made of glass installed on a church in St. Petersburg

      03.02.2004, YEKATERINBURG, February 3 (www.itar-tass.com)

      A cross made of glass was installed at the St Alexander of the Neva's
      cathedral here Tuesday, abbot Demetrius, the chief of information
      department of the Russian Orthodox diocese of Yekaterinburg, said.

      The glass structure has astonishing dimensions – it is 5.5 meters
      tall and weighs 1.5 tons.

      The initial plan was to make it from crystal, but the designers had
      to give it up, as crystal might crack because of the big amplitude of
      temperature differences.

      The cross has a core of gilded steel – an ornament depicting the
      birds of paradise – and is highlighted from the inside during the
      nighttime.

      Topping the whole structure is a 5-kilogram glass dove, blown in the
      central Russian town of Gus-Khrustalny. It symbolizes the Holy Ghost
      that descended upon Jesus Christ.

      The cross is placed on a slim crescent.

      Abbot Demetrius said the design is suggestive of an anchor as a hope
      for salvation.
    • Fr. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
        Regarding:

        > from TODAY'S NEWS http://www.3saints.com
        >
        > Cross made of glass installed on a church in St. Petersburg
        >
        > 03.02.2004, YEKATERINBURG, February 3 (www.itar-tass.com)

        JRS: However, Ekaterinburg and St. Petersburg are very different
        cities, located far apart in Russia.

        Ekaterinburg (or Yekaterinburg) was the site of the murder of the
        Imperial Family in 1918. During the Soviet period, it was
        renamed "Sverdlovsk".

        In Christ
        Fr. John R. Shaw
      • Joshua Fraese
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2004
          > Abbot Demetrius said the design is suggestive of an anchor as a
          hope
          > for salvation.

          I had heard that the crescent was emblematic of the triumph of
          Christianity over Islam. Does anyone know more about this symbolism?

          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Al Green" <aggreenjr@n...>
          wrote:
          > from TODAY'S NEWS http://www.3saints.com
          >
          > Cross made of glass installed on a church in St. Petersburg
          >
          > 03.02.2004, YEKATERINBURG, February 3 (www.itar-tass.com)
          >
          > A cross made of glass was installed at the St Alexander of the
          Neva's
          > cathedral here Tuesday, abbot Demetrius, the chief of information
          > department of the Russian Orthodox diocese of Yekaterinburg, said.
          >
          > The glass structure has astonishing dimensions – it is 5.5 meters
          > tall and weighs 1.5 tons.
          >
          > The initial plan was to make it from crystal, but the designers had
          > to give it up, as crystal might crack because of the big amplitude
          of
          > temperature differences.
          >
          > The cross has a core of gilded steel – an ornament depicting the
          > birds of paradise – and is highlighted from the inside during the
          > nighttime.
          >
          > Topping the whole structure is a 5-kilogram glass dove, blown in
          the
          > central Russian town of Gus-Khrustalny. It symbolizes the Holy
          Ghost
          > that descended upon Jesus Christ.
          >
          > The cross is placed on a slim crescent.
          >
          > Abbot Demetrius said the design is suggestive of an anchor as a
          hope
          > for salvation.
        • StephenATL/????????
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2004
            The Cross with a crescent at the bottom does commemorate (Russian)
            Orthodoxy's victory over (Tartar) Islam. I think the Abbot was just
            being "politically correct", in these modern times.

            Stephanos