Re: Rejoining the Russian Patriarchate

  • Al Green
    Message 1 of 113 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Priest Seraphim Holland
      <seraphim@o...> wrote:
      > Al Green wrote:
      > > Fr. John,
      > > Explain what ROCOR stands for that the OCA does not. Is not the
      > > theology and dogmas of the two jurisdictions the same?
      > >
      > > Or is it that the OCA is, like the Antiochians, more open to
      > > nonRussians? Maybe the OCA isn't Russian enough? What is it about
      > > being Russian that is more "Orthodox" than other ethnic groups.
      I'm
      > > Irish-English. Does this make me less Orthodox?
      > >
      > > Or am I misunderstanding the point you are making.
      >
      > Al, my congratulations. Usually, with a subject like this, you
      would be
      > shouting. There is a bit of an edge to your "voice", but you are
      not
      > SHOUTING! This makes intelligent discourse so much easier.
      >
      > Fr John speaks well for himself, and more irenically than I, so I
      will not
      > answer his questions. I will say that I am "pre-schism Irish
      Orthodox"
      > too, and am accepted as being as Orthodox as anybody else. I also
      firmly
      > believe that there are significant differences between the OCA and
      ROCOR,
      > and that many of these differences can be overcome.

      ***I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Please consider the
      question asked of you.

      ***What I'm mainly interested in knowing is whether the differences
      are theological and dogmatic, or in "cap T/small t" traditions and
      procedures and local customs. From my limited research, the
      catechisms of the various Orthodox jurisdictions is the same, but
      that local practices give the appearance that there are many
      differences. I've always maintained on the various forums I belong
      to and used to belong to (<G>) that the core beliefs of Orthodoxy's
      autonomous and autocephalous churches is the same. If not, then I
      might conclude that we are not "one" church.

      Al
    • Romano Byzantine
      Message 113 of 113 , Jan 20, 2004
        Dear Subdeacon Lawrence

        Blessings in Christ God!

        I am so happy that you share my thoughts. It was good to hear from you
        and read your reply. Let us pray for all that is good. Please feel free
        to communicate with me whenever you wish to mailto://rbsocc@... .

        Doxa si Kyrie!

        Archbishop Stephen