Memory Eternal - George Kalfov

  • skalfov
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      This morning, my father George passed away after long battle with
      Alzheimer's.

      My father was tonsured a reader in Shanghai by St John and served as
      his reader for years, in Shanghai, Tubabao and whenever Vladyka would
      come to Seattle. When Vladyka Ioann reposed, here in Seattle in
      1966, my dad was the first one to his aide after he had fallen and
      placed him in the armchair where he reposed in my dad's arms. He was
      the choir director at our St Nicholas Cathedral and served on the
      Parish Council until he retired before the alzheimer's took him over.

      He was an active leader in the Russian emgiree community here, as one
      of the founders and charter members of the Russian Community Center
      in 1953 and served as its president for over 20+ years. He
      spearheaded the acquistion of an old theater complex and turning it
      in to a facility which over the past 50 years has become a place
      where all Russians could get together regardless of what jurisdiction
      they belonged, or whether they emigrated from the Far East or Europe,
      or regardless of faith to live in harmony.

      He was instrumental in ensuring that the Russian community did not
      feel the stigma of era of the cold war here as being a Russian meant
      that you were a Communist. He actively involved the mayors of
      Seattle, city council members as well as the various governors of
      Washington to participate in Russian community events both at the
      Russian Center as well as St Nicholas.

      He was active in the Seattle business community as well being on the
      forefront of making sure that all Russian émigrés got helped
      here,
      regardless of when and where they came from. He found jobs and
      employment for many of these to get them and their families on their
      feet. Tireless, he helped interpret for ailing Russians in
      hospitals, especially when there were some serious injuries from
      Russian fishing boats off the Pacific Coast.

      He gave himself to the church and to the community. He will be missed
      sorely by all. Services are tentatively scheduled for this Friday at
      St Nicholas.

      Vechnaya Pamyat'

      Sergei Kalfov
    • Nick Steblez
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
        Let us never forget our Fathers and Mothers, at whose feet we learned of Holy Orthodoxy! As one whose parents now sleep in our Lord's Arms, I share your pain of the separation, but rejoice with the Holy Angels who stand with them before God's Throne!

        Vechnaya Pamyat' !

        The unworthy servant of God,
        Nicholas Steblez