request

  • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      Does anyone know if the name "Owen" is Orthodox, and if not, what name
      does it come closest to in the calendar of Saints.
    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        St. Hywyn (Owen, Ewen) of Aberdaron

        Commemorated 6th January
        Died after 516. Saint Hywyn was probably a companion of Saint Cadfan on his
        return journey from Brittany in 516 to Cornwall and Wales. He is said to
        have been the founder of Aberdaron in Carnarvonshire. Several churches in
        western England known as Saint Owen's or Saint Ewen's possibly have Hywyn
        for their titular saint (Benedictines).

        ----------------------

        St. Owen of Rouen

        Commemorated 24th August

        http://www.stowen.org/stowen.htm

        Saint Owen was bishop of Rouen, France in the 7th century. He was born in
        Sancy, near Soissons, about 600 AD of a Frankish family. While he was still
        a child, his family housed and entertained the exiled St. Columban of
        Ireland who greatly influenced his early education. In his youth Owen was
        sent to the court of St. Clotaire II where he became an outstanding student.
        He gained the favor of the King and his son, who appointed him chancellor.
        While in office Owen steadily opposed the then prevalent practice of simony.

        As a layman, St. Owen, with his zeal, piety and learning, was considered
        equal to any of the bishops. He gained a reputation for assisting the poor
        and homeless and ministered to widows and orphans throughout the kingdom.

        He was later ordained and received episcopal consecration at Rheims in
        641. As bishop of Rouen, he encouraged education by founding several
        monastaries as centers of learning. He died on August 24, 684, and is buried
        near the main altar of St. Owen Church in Rouen. We celebrate his feast on
        that

        More information on Saint Owen of Rouen
        http://users.erols.com/saintpat/ss/0824.htm#owen

        Fr Ambrose

        > Does anyone know if the name "Owen" is Orthodox, and if not, what name
        > does it come closest to in the calendar of Saints.

        > Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

      • Victor and Elena Lochmatow
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24 3:45 AM
          greetings from Herkimer.

          Is it possible to receive messages at both my sites, "
          verizon" and lochmatow@... , the latter being my email at
          work in Jordanville.

          Spasibo

          d Victor Lochmatow