Re: [orthodox-rocor] Concerning Pokrov.org

  • Hieromonk Maximos
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2003
      >Dear List,
      >
      >While surfing the Internet the other day, I ran across
      >a website called pokrov.org, whose stated purpose is,
      >if I'm not mistaken the exposure of those within
      >Orthodoxy guilty of abuse as well as helping the
      >victims of abuse. Can anyone bring me up to speed
      >regarding this organization? Are they legit? Are they
      >moderate or overzealous? Is this an organization
      >worthy of support or are they simply someone with an
      >axe to grind?
      >
      >I, personally have no axe to grind with this
      >organization, but am simply curious and am looking for
      >information about them from outside the organization,
      >since most often, any info originating from an
      >organization tends to be self-serving to some degree.
      >
      >Many thanks.
      >
      >The unworthy servant of God,
      >Nicholas

      I have some problems with this group ( and I have sent them an e-mail
      explaining my concerns)

      1. It lists Father Ephraims monasteries as one of the" controversial
      groups". This is pure nonsense based on the un- Orthodox
      interpretations of the Elder's synodia, by a protestant " cult hunter"

      2. It lists as perpetrators several individuals who have no
      connection with any monastic or clerical rank aside from the fact the
      wore cassocks and claimed to be such . This is like listing under "
      police abuse" fakers who pretend to be police, this is surely abuse
      but it is not accuratly described.

      3. The resources section lists mostly protestant and catholic
      writers, as if there is no difference in the way we deal with
      problems in the Orthodox Church than amongst the heterodox.

      If they would approach this problem from an Orthodox perspective,
      they would have much more credibility, in my opinion.

      There is, of course, abuse of all kinds within the Orthodox Church,
      but the phenomenology of abuse in an Orthodox setting is different
      then in the Roman Catholic or Protestant world, which calls for
      different solutions, ones in concord with the phrenoma of the
      Orthodox Church.