Fr Theodore Martynenko

  • Fr Michael Protopopov
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      Dear Everyone,
      Can anyone inform me as to when, where and how Fr Theodore Martynenko died? After living in Australia in the late 1980s, he moved to Russia and then back to California. I understand he was appointed rector of the Trinity parish in Oxnard. I need this information for his biography.
      Thank you in anticipation,
      Fr Michael.

    • emrys@globe.net.nz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
        Dear Father,

        Here is some little information,
        Fr Ambrose
        ---

        Matushka Anastasia Shatilova writes: "In 1996 there died the priest Fr.
        Theodore Martynenko, who served in a church of the ROCA in a suburb of
        Los-Angeles. He was a very meek man, and so humble, but at the same time
        very truthful and 'unbending'

        "I knew him when he was the cell-attendant of Metropolitan Anastasius in
        Munich. Then our connection was broken, but was later renewed. I had a large
        correspondence with him, and as a consequence he would visit us once a year
        to my house in Flushing. In one of these conversations with him I clarified
        the origin of his family. Fr. Theodore told me that his father had been the
        reader in the village of Salsk, Rostov province. During the first years of
        the revolution his parish joined the renovationists. He succeeded in
        returning the whole parish to Patriarch Tikhon, and for that the impenitent
        renovationists drowned him. Then I told him that his father was undoubtedly
        a new martyr and my father [Bishop Gregory] confirmed this. I asked him to
        write in more detail about this exploit of his father, Reader Maximus, but
        he put it off and was always embarrassed by the thought that he could have
        anew martyr as a father. When Fr. Theodore died, his sister, who was still
        living in Salsk and whom he had visited about three times in Russia, found
        my address and wrote to me. I replied, asking her to tell me what she
        remembered about her father, and this is what she told me:

        Her father was greatly loved in the St. George parish (there were two
        parishes in the village), where he was not only reader and organised a fine
        choir, but they also loved him for his piety and for his unfailing help to
        his neighbour, although his family was very poor. Also because he did a
        great deal in the church with his own hands - he was a talented joiner and
        carver.

        "Fr. Theodore's sister was eight years old when they killed her father. This
        is what she wrote (not without mistakes): 'He was envied for his talents for
        God, they began to persecute him. He knew everything and bore everything in
        silence, but things gradually went towards disaster. He went to buy
        something for the house, my mama told him to buy what she needed. And so my
        mama couldn't wait any longer, she got nervous, and wept. The next day mama
        went to make a declaration to the village soviet. (They said with a smirk:
        he's probably abandoned you.) Mama wept, they showed her his things whichhad
        been collected on the river near where the cross was immersed through theice
        at Theophany. Mama recognised the bag, and in the bag - those things which
        she had told him to buy. She organised a search for him in the river. When
        they penetrated the ice, his walking stick appeared. Then with a hook they
        got hold of the body of my papa Maximus and placed it in the boat. He was
        frozen; his right hand was on his forehead, he had been making the sign of
        the cross (they drowned him). The doctors brought him home, recognised that
        he had frozen to death, that he was frozen. They dressed him and placed him
        in the room. He gradually melted and his hand fell onto his breast. I wept,
        I was very sorry for my papa. My God, when they buried him, they carried him
        on a cart for a long time, the whole village came out, the street was packed
        with people. The chanters chanted and everyone wept, they buried him in the
        grounds of the church.'

        "'In accordance with my request, this poor woman sent me a photograph of her
        father, and also a photograph of the grave. This is what she wrote inher
        second letter: "In 1936-37 many clergymen suffered. In front of our eyes the
        car which was called "the Black Raven" arrived, handcuffed them, seized them
        and took them away we don't know where. In the church in which my father
        served, the priests John and Michael served after him. They were painfully
        handcuffed and seized, and taken away we don't know where. Pray for the
        martyrs Protopriests John and Michael'

        "By the way, the same Fr. Theodore told me one extraordinary story that took
        place in the same Salsk, when he was there on a visit to his sister from
        America.

        "Near the bell-tower of the local church they were doing some kind of
        excavations, it seems they were repairing the foundation and then they
        discovered a common grave with five or six bodies. Three of the bodies were
        incorrupt, and the rest had completely decomposed. The contemporary 'pious
        inhabitants' of this village, which has now already become a town, sigheda
        little and put them all back in the grave together! Nevertheless, Fr.
        Theodore insisted that they should find out in more detail who these youths
        were and why they had been killed. There was almost nobody left who
        remembered them, only a few old men could say that the youths had been very
        pious, but nobody knew their names. During the civil war they had climbedup
        into the bell-tower to witness the battle between the whites and the reds.
        They had all been taken for spies and shot on the spot and buried by the
        bell-tower."

        (Source: "Chtets Maxim Martynenko i Drugiye Novomucheniki Sal'ska",
        Pravoslavnaya Zhizn', 49, N 2 (590), February, 1999, pp. 25-28)
      • Fr Michael Protopopov
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
          My God, your quick Father. Glad to see that the NZ kgb is as efficient as
          ever.
          Love - Fr Michael
> [...]
          > little and put them all back in the grave together! Nevertheless, Fr.
          > Theodore insisted that they should find out in more detail who these
          youths
          > were and why they had been killed. There was almost nobody left who
          > remembered them, only a few old men could say that the youths had been
          very
          > pious, but nobody knew their names. During the civil war they had
          climbedup
          > into the bell-tower to witness the battle between the whites and the reds.
          > They had all been taken for spies and shot on the spot and buried by the
          > bell-tower."
          >
          > (Source: "Chtets Maxim Martynenko i Drugiye Novomucheniki Sal'ska",
          > Pravoslavnaya Zhizn', 49, N 2 (590), February, 1999, pp. 25-28)

          > Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

        • Vojislav Micunovic
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
            Dear Father, brothers and sisters in Christ

            Please mention in your fervent prayers our brother in
            Christ Alexander, who is imprisioned by the police in
            Serbia. He has been detained for three months now and
            no charges have been raised. His family is allowed to
            visit him for only five minutes a week. They are very
            distressed and ask for your prayers.

            If anyone on this list is able to do so, they would be
            especially grateful is someone could put Alexander's
            name under the Mitre of the Holy Hierarch Saint John
            the Wonderworker whom we will celebrate tomorrow.
            Please let me know if you can help with this prayerful
            request.

            With love in our Lord Jesus Christ

            Vojislav a sinner