how to answer objections to rocor

  • jechenaudrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 11:40 PM
      I have a serbian orthodox friend who says that ROCOR is a political
      sect and that I should stay away from them. anyway to answer this
      charge sucincty?
      Nicholas
    • Nicholas Richard
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
        Dear List Members,
        Please pray for my father Simeon if you can. He had some pain in his heart and went to the hospital in the middle of the night. He is there now. He had a heart attack some years back and we are worried about him. My sincere gratitude if you could please remember to pray for him.
        In Christ,
        Nicholas

      • Sam Campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
          Nicholas,

          Your Serbian Orthodox friend is really going against what the Serbian
          Orthodox Church says. As I understand it, ROCOR and the Serbian Orthodox
          Church are in communion. If there is any problem with this in his mind than
          it is his opinion. You might ask him what his grounds are for saying what he
          did since his own Church is in Communion with the ROCOR.

          the sinner,

          Symeon Campbell

        • aaronandbrighid@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
            Dear Nicholas,
            Good Lent! I would just add something to the comments about the relationship between ROCOR and Serbia. Metropolitan Amphilochije of Montenegro, one of the most respected Serbian bishops and theologians, and a disciple of Blessed Justin (Popovich), said this about ROCOR in 'Divine Ascent':
            'From the very beginning the Serbian Orthodox Church regarded the Ryssian Synod in Exile as the Church which "bears the wounds of Christ". This is why the Serbian Church has helped its founding and organisation and never ceased communication with the Russian Synodal Church.' Nothing about a 'political sect' there.
            Besides this, would St John of San Francisco, who many believe to have been the greatest saint of the twentieth century, have belonged to a 'political sect'? Finally, Fr Ephraim, the founder of the Greek monasteries in America and former abbot of Philotheou on the Holy Mountain, has written an excellent discussion of ROCOR which you can find posted on the Orthodox Information Center.

            forgive me,
            aaron