Re: [orthodox-rocor] ROCOR and News Ostrog Monastary

  • StephenATL
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2003
      Bless Father,

      I just looked at their web site (Lev Puhalo, et al.) and was shocked by
      his polemics against the "toll houses", calling Fr. Seraphim of Platina
      (Rose) a "Neo-Gnostic". What is the ROCOR consensus in regards to
      "toll houses" at death? From all the Fathers I have read and all the
      Lives of Saints I have read...... Fr. Seraphim's teachings seem well in
      line with the Traditions of the Church.

      Stephanos

      Fr. John R. Shaw wrote:

      >>Hello, I was wondering if ROCOR is in communion with
      >>Bishop Valaam and Bishop Lazar of the New Ostrog Monastery
      >>located in BC: http://www.new-ostrog.org/ Nicholas
      >>

      >JRS: No. "Bishop Lazar" (Lev Puhalo, AKA Buehler) was defrocked by our
      >Synod when he was still a deacon.
      >
      >In Christ
      >Fr. John R. Shaw

      >Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

    • Fr. John R. Shaw
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        Stephanos wrote:

        > Bless Father,
        >
        > I just looked at their web site (Lev Puhalo, et al.) and was shocked
        by
        > his polemics against the "toll houses", calling Fr. Seraphim of
        Platina
        > (Rose) a "Neo-Gnostic". What is the ROCOR consensus in regards to
        > "toll houses" at death? From all the Fathers I have read and all
        the
        > Lives of Saints I have read...... Fr. Seraphim's teachings seem well
        in
        > line with the Traditions of the Church.

        JRS; There was a prolonged battle of "open letters" between Lev
        Puhalo/Buehler and Fr. Seraphim Rose over "life beyond the grave". I
        may still have some of the packets of polemical writings put away.

        The Orthodox Church does not have a stated doctrine on this subject
        [tollhouses], but Puhalo's writings seemed, to most of us, to be
        foreign to Church tradition.

        In Christ
        Fr. John R. Shaw