ROCOR and Japanese autonomous church

  • jechenaudrey <jechenaudrey@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
      Is ROCOR in communion with the Japanese Automous Orthodox Church?
      Nicholas
    • Nicholas Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
        Dear Nicholas,
        I am very sorry to say that ROCOR is not in communion with the Church of Japan. Sorry because I live in Yokohama, have made many Orthodox friends here and my wife (as of May 18th) is a Japanese girl who was baptized here in Japan. After the Russian Revolution, the Orthodox Church of Japan kind of floated until it decided to go under the care of the American Metropolia (OCA) in 1945 as it remained for many years until the fall of Communism in Russia. I never understood why the Church of Japan made connections with the American Metropolia and not ROCOR as the latter had been established in both China and Australia. Seems that it would have been easier to establish lasting relations being so close. I always supposed it probably had something to do with the fact that it is easier to close your eyes to Sergianism and other follies (which one could do in the OCA but certainly not in the Church Abroad).
        I would love to see more of a connection between the Church of Japan and ROCOR. I think the former could use some more contact with a more ''tradtionalist'' Jurisdiction as she seems to have picked up some rather modernist and un-Orthodox tendencies from having too many priests trained at Saint Vladamir's Seminary ( or as a good friend of mine calls it ''The Alexander Smemanary''. No disrespect intended.) However, since Russia has opened up and seems to be recovering from some of her own sicknesses, the Japanese church, streanthening her relationship with her mother church, is also being taken care of I am sure.
        In closing, there is one historical connection that I like to tell people between ROCOR and the Japanese Church. In 1940 the Japanese government passed a law stating that the leader of every religious organization in Japan had to be a Japanese national. At that time the Japanese church was headed by the Russian Metropolitan Sergei Tikhomirov. It was then ROCOR that ordained Bishop Nikolai Ono as the first Japanese bishop.
        In Christ,
        Nicholas Richard

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          Dear List Members,
          Thinking about the topic of ROCOR and the Church of Japan, I wanted to get my facts straight and tried to find the polemic against the Synod by the Bishop John Shakovsky of San Francisco that I read some time ago. I came across it and in it he says:
          ''Metropolitan Philaret#30196; "Appeal" makes no mention of the purely political and quite sinful diversion by the Karlovtsy Synod against the righteous Metropolitan Sergius of Japan. It wreaked tremendous harm upon the Japanese Church. I know this through documents and the testimony of individual Japanese. Even now Japan recalls with horror the attempt on the part of the Karlovtsy Synod with the help of the Japanese political military police to replace the legitimate Metropolitan Sergius of Tokyo, who was respected by the entire Japanese Church, with the Archpriest Ono, who had been hurriedly divorced and consecrated a bishop in Manchuria specifically for that purpose. (He later repented himself of his criminal act.)''

          The site I found this from is here: http://www.holy-trinity.org/ecclesiology/shahovskoy-confirmation.html
          In it the Bishop makes many arguments trying to prove how politically minded, irrational, un canonical and sinful ROCOR is. Wondering what you all think of it.
          In Christ,
          Nicholas Richard