Re: [orthodox-rocor] Today's News (12-4-02)

  • Fr Anthony Bridges
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2002
      Don't shoot the messenger!

      At least this has the potential to increase the American public's awareness that Orthodoxy exists. Once they know that, we can tell them about the issues.

      One step at a time.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2002
        << The Church is not a democracy, an episcopal aristocracy nor yet an
        autocracy run from the Phanar; it is Christ's Body and Kingdom, and its
        earthly order is apostolic, traditional and conciliar ->>

        A quite correct point which is not in the slightest conveyed, proclaimed,
        communicated, spread abroad, or practiced by quibbling about when Orthodoxy
        gets "air time" in the secular media.

        <<- an order which has been wholly ignored in the disgraceful innovations of
        the past 80 years. >>

        Indeed nowhere in Orthodoxy is the canonical order of the Church more
        disregarded than in North America, starting with the founding of the Greek
        Archdiocese in 1922, which established non territorial often phyletestic,
        overlapping "jurisdictions" as the norm in North America. I am however quite
        happy that the Greeks are going to in some small way spread abroad the news
        that the Lord is God and hath revealed Himself to us.

        <<In America it is axiomatic that what the majority do is O.K., and what any
        quasi-ecclesial group calls itself is what it is. >>

        Of course several in fact heterodox "quasi-ecclesial" groups that call
        themselves Orthodox in America adhere strictly to the correct calendar. (A
        point all "True Orthodox" groups must concede since they all loudly proclaim
        why all the other True Orthodox groups are not)

        <<"Orthodox" in this context has almost no meaning. Should not this list at
        least insist on a traditional standard, just to keep clear in its own mind
        what it is? >>

        I had the impression that the ROCOR standard on the Calendar was that the Old
        was preferable and more correct but it was not a dogmatic issue. I don't
        think any jurisdiction has a standard about when hallmark specials should be
        shown on the television.

        Or is it that the very idea of a ROCOR list making note of a Greek
        Archdiocese water blesseng being televised is insufficiently seperating,
        insufficiently condemnatory, insufficiently anathematizing, insufficiently
        sectarian?
      • DAVID STARR <dstarr@mail.sjcsf.edu>
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 7, 2002
          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, volotsky@a... wrote:
          > ...I had the impression that the ROCOR standard on the Calendar was
          > that the Old was preferable and more correct but it was not a
          > dogmatic issue. I don't think any jurisdiction has a standard
          > about when hallmark specials should be shown on the television.

          Dear Brother Joseph,
          It's good to hear from you. You are probably right about both
          these important points concerning ROCOR's positions.

          > Or is it that the very idea of a ROCOR list making note of a Greek
          > Archdiocese water blesseng being televised is insufficiently
          > seperating, insufficiently condemnatory, insufficiently
          > anathematizing, insufficiently sectarian?

          I'm sorry I offended you, Joseph. No, that's not the point.
          (Incidentally, do you really think that anathemas demonstrate
          sectarianism?)

          Love.
          David
        • john witte
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2002
            YOU HAVE NO CHOICE>>>MUST RECORD THIS BROADCAST AND MAKE COPY FOR ME TO
            WATCH....pretty please