Re: Precious and Holy Cross+

  • gregdoug52us
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      --- In orthodox-rocor@y..., Théophile MALU <theophilemalu@y...> wrote:

      > Every thing, to my little knowledge, in our church is
      > symbolic.

      > Yet, I do not understand the truth behind the
      > celebration of the St and Precious Cross at the same
      > period, I mean during the first month of the church
      > year(September 14).

      September 14 celebrates the Discovery of the True Cross on Calvary
      (Golgotha) by St. Helena. Also September 13 is the anniversary of the
      Church of the Resurrection (also called Church of the Holy Sepulchre)
      in Jerusalem, which was built on the place where Christ was Crucified
      and where they later found the Holy Cross. (It is also built on the
      site of Jesus' tomb, out of which He rose from the dead, because the
      tomb was close by and the building is a big one.)

      -- Gregorios