Re: Format for Akathists in church

  • frdmitry
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27 10:46 PM
      Dear Nectarios,

      Perhaps an additional way, for example, as part of the "Pravila"
      :Rule for Holy Communion, is to make the Three Canons and
      Akathist fit into Small Compline, . . . starting with, I believe, Ninth
      hour. In our parish we do this with Akathist, pretty much, every
      Friday evening ( so that makes it, liturgically speaking, Saturday.)
      Otherwise there'd be no time, no attendees ( "what , Bat-ooshka ,
      give up my Saturday afternoon?" ), and fewer folks prepared for
      Holy Communion. Even though very few show up, my family and
      the parish have come to expect and even look forward to the
      Friday evening "Pravila". Leaving the prep. for Communion
      Canon and Prayers for the individual to complete sometime
      before Sunday's Divine Liturgy . Of course, such an ekonomia
      might be considered questionable. I expect clearence from
      above is required ( spir.father, bishop).

      In Christ,
      unworthy,sinful
      fr.Dmitry Wieber
      St.Juliana of Lazarevo Russian Orthodox Church
      Santa Fe, New Mexico U.S.of A.

      and--- In orthodox-rocor@y..., "Fr David Straut" <fr.straut@v...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Nectarios,
      >
      > An Akathist may be sung in the Moleben Service between the
      Sixth Ode of the
      > Canon (or - more commonly - the 5th repetition of the Refrains
      which takes
      > the place of the Sixth Ode) and the Prokeimenon.
      >
      > I have heard of priests doing an Akathist in church with a
      simpler service
      > constucted around it. I think this is: 'Blessed is our God...', O
      Heavenly
      > King, Trisagion Prayers, 'For Thine is the Kiingdom...', Lord,
      have mercy
      > (12), Glory... Both now..., O come, let us worship (3), Psalm 50,
      the
      > Symbol of Faith (?), Akathist, Ektenia of Fervent Supplication,
      Prayer to
      > Whom the Akathist is addressed, Small Dismissal. I do *not*
      think that this
      > is normative in the tradition of the Russian Church.
      >
      > In Christ,
      >
      > Priest David Straut
      > Orthodox Church of St Elizabeth the New-Martyr (ROCOR)
      > Somerville, New Jersey

      name.

      docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/