Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: New ROCA Web page up

  • Geoffrey Ready
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
      Yes, I realise that, just like the domains .tv (Tuvalu), .to (Tonga), .am
      (Armenia), .fm (Micronesia), etc., .ws has been successfully re-marketed by
      American entrepreneurs as a "global" name. Incidentally, here in Northern
      Ireland some people were once duped into thinking the domain .ni (Nicaragua)
      applied to them -- they lost their domain names when there was a change in
      Nicaraguan government policy. And I've met someone who thought .tc (Turks
      and Caicos Islands) stood for "The Church"!

      I don't mean to quibble, but upon reflection, I honestly think there is a
      real danger of not being taken seriously if we adopt the domain designation
      of an obscure Pacific island. What was wrong with www.rocor.org?

      By the way, I also think the new site looks great, and look forward to the
      English version. Well done!

      In XC
      Deacon Geoffrey

      Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
      Belfast, Northern Ireland
      http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
        From: Elias Gorsky <elias.gorsky@...>
        Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:41:48 -0400

        >No, BRAVO is appropriate - it is the work Father Peter Perekrestov, who did
        >it solo.
        >It is absolutely beautiful. It is also his first web site - so even more
        >beautiful things are on the way.

        Father, bless! Is this the Father Perekrestov who is at the Cathedral in San Francisco? Not that it matters, just wondering.

        This is a *beautiful* website, and I look forward to the English version - so I can learn more Russian! :-)

        Kissing your right hand,
        Margaret Lark
      • frjohnwhiteford
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
          I've no idea why there was a need to change the domain name... unless
          it had something to do with a web hosting package deal.

          If you wanted to find the web site for the ACLU, for example, you
          could guess that it would be aclu.org, without resorting to a search
          engine. Likewise, one could reasonably guess that the ROCOR's web
          site would be rocor.org. You would have to find the new domain in a
          search engine, or else just know what it was to find it. I would
          hope that some one would at least post a link at the rocor.org page
          to the new page.

          -Fr. John Whiteford

          --- In orthodox-rocor@y..., "Geoffrey Ready" <gready@n...> wrote:

          > Yes, I realise that, just like the domains .tv (Tuvalu), .to
          (Tonga), .am
          > (Armenia), .fm (Micronesia), etc., .ws has been successfully re-
          marketed by
          > American entrepreneurs as a "global" name. Incidentally, here in
          Northern
          > Ireland some people were once duped into thinking the domain .ni
          (Nicaragua)
          > applied to them -- they lost their domain names when there was a
          change in
          > Nicaraguan government policy. And I've met someone who thought .tc
          (Turks
          > and Caicos Islands) stood for "The Church"!
          >
          > I don't mean to quibble, but upon reflection, I honestly think
          there is a
          > real danger of not being taken seriously if we adopt the domain
          designation
          > of an obscure Pacific island. What was wrong with www.rocor.org?
          >
          > By the way, I also think the new site looks great, and look forward
          to the
          > English version. Well done!
          >
          > In XC
          > Deacon Geoffrey
          >
          > Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
          > Belfast, Northern Ireland
          > http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com

        • Priest Seraphim Holland
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
            No need to post a link. It points to the new site automatically.

            frjohnwhiteford wrote:

            > I've no idea why there was a need to change the domain name... unless
            > it had something to do with a web hosting package deal.
            >
            > If you wanted to find the web site for the ACLU, for example, you
            > could guess that it would be aclu.org, without resorting to a search
            > engine. Likewise, one could reasonably guess that the ROCOR's web
            > site would be rocor.org. You would have to find the new domain in a
            > search engine, or else just know what it was to find it. I would
            > hope that some one would at least post a link at the rocor.org page
            > to the new page.
            >
            > -Fr. John Whiteford
            >
            > --- In orthodox-rocor@y..., "Geoffrey Ready" <gready@n...> wrote:
            >
            >>Yes, I realise that, just like the domains .tv (Tuvalu), .to
            >>
            > (Tonga), .am
            >
            >>(Armenia), .fm (Micronesia), etc., .ws has been successfully re-
            >>
            > marketed by
            >
            >>American entrepreneurs as a "global" name. Incidentally, here in
            >>
            > Northern
            >
            >>Ireland some people were once duped into thinking the domain .ni
            >>
            > (Nicaragua)
            >
            >>applied to them -- they lost their domain names when there was a
            >>
            > change in
            >
            >>Nicaraguan government policy. And I've met someone who thought .tc
            >>
            > (Turks
            >
            >>and Caicos Islands) stood for "The Church"!
            >>
            >>I don't mean to quibble, but upon reflection, I honestly think
            >>
            > there is a
            >
            >>real danger of not being taken seriously if we adopt the domain
            >>
            > designation
            >
            >>of an obscure Pacific island. What was wrong with www.rocor.org?
            >>
            >>By the way, I also think the new site looks great, and look forward
            >>
            > to the
            >
            >>English version. Well done!
            >>
            >>In XC
            >>Deacon Geoffrey
            >>
            >>Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
            >>Belfast, Northern Ireland
            >>http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com

            Priest Seraphim Holland | seraphim@... PHONE: 972/529-2754
            CELL PHONE/PAGES: 214 336-3464 ADDR:2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75071
            Sermons, Q&A about Orthodox topics, Confession, FAQs, Parish info,links, more
            --> http://www.orthodox.net <--
          • boulia_1
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 19, 2002
              Dear Margaret,

              I'll presume to answer for Fr. Ilya: yes, that would be Father Peter
              of S.F. I knew that he was working on it myself, but was under the
              impression that he was heading or part of a committee.

              It's wonderful work indeed! And, knowing Father Peter's dedication to
              the non-Russian/English-speaking Orthodox, I'm sure the English
              version will be up soon.

              In Christ,
              Elizabeth