Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: New ROCA Web page up

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
      Western Somoa was the original designation for that
      extension, but it is now being used to signify "world
      site".

      http://www.worldsite.ws/about.dhtml

      --- Geoffrey Ready <gready@...> wrote:
      > >In case you're wondering, ".ws" stands for "world
      > site" as opposed
      > >to ".us" which stands for the United States, or
      > ".ru", which stands
      > >for "Russia.
      >
      > I'm afraid that .ws is actually the top-level domain
      > of Independent State of
      > Samoa, formerly known as Western Samoa.
      >
      > Perhaps we should ensure that we establish a mission
      > there. :-)
      >
      > In XC
      > Deacon Geoffrey
      >
      > Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
      > Belfast, Northern Ireland
      > http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com
      >

      > ---
      > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
      > (http://www.grisoft.com).
      > Date: 05/06/2002

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      =====

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Geoffrey Ready
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
        Yes, I realise that, just like the domains .tv (Tuvalu), .to (Tonga), .am
        (Armenia), .fm (Micronesia), etc., .ws has been successfully re-marketed by
        American entrepreneurs as a "global" name. Incidentally, here in Northern
        Ireland some people were once duped into thinking the domain .ni (Nicaragua)
        applied to them -- they lost their domain names when there was a change in
        Nicaraguan government policy. And I've met someone who thought .tc (Turks
        and Caicos Islands) stood for "The Church"!

        I don't mean to quibble, but upon reflection, I honestly think there is a
        real danger of not being taken seriously if we adopt the domain designation
        of an obscure Pacific island. What was wrong with www.rocor.org?

        By the way, I also think the new site looks great, and look forward to the
        English version. Well done!

        In XC
        Deacon Geoffrey

        Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
        Belfast, Northern Ireland
        http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com

        > Western Somoa was the original designation for that
        > extension, but it is now being used to signify "world
        > site".
        >
        > http://www.worldsite.ws/about.dhtml

        ---
      • Margaret Lark
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
          From: Elias Gorsky <elias.gorsky@...>
          Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:41:48 -0400

          >No, BRAVO is appropriate - it is the work Father Peter Perekrestov, who did
          >it solo.
          >It is absolutely beautiful. It is also his first web site - so even more
          >beautiful things are on the way.

          Father, bless! Is this the Father Perekrestov who is at the Cathedral in San Francisco? Not that it matters, just wondering.

          This is a *beautiful* website, and I look forward to the English version - so I can learn more Russian! :-)

          Kissing your right hand,
          Margaret Lark
        • frjohnwhiteford
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
            I've no idea why there was a need to change the domain name... unless
            it had something to do with a web hosting package deal.

            If you wanted to find the web site for the ACLU, for example, you
            could guess that it would be aclu.org, without resorting to a search
            engine. Likewise, one could reasonably guess that the ROCOR's web
            site would be rocor.org. You would have to find the new domain in a
            search engine, or else just know what it was to find it. I would
            hope that some one would at least post a link at the rocor.org page
            to the new page.

            -Fr. John Whiteford

            --- In orthodox-rocor@y..., "Geoffrey Ready" <gready@n...> wrote:

            > Yes, I realise that, just like the domains .tv (Tuvalu), .to
            (Tonga), .am
            > (Armenia), .fm (Micronesia), etc., .ws has been successfully re-
            marketed by
            > American entrepreneurs as a "global" name. Incidentally, here in
            Northern
            > Ireland some people were once duped into thinking the domain .ni
            (Nicaragua)
            > applied to them -- they lost their domain names when there was a
            change in
            > Nicaraguan government policy. And I've met someone who thought .tc
            (Turks
            > and Caicos Islands) stood for "The Church"!
            >
            > I don't mean to quibble, but upon reflection, I honestly think
            there is a
            > real danger of not being taken seriously if we adopt the domain
            designation
            > of an obscure Pacific island. What was wrong with www.rocor.org?
            >
            > By the way, I also think the new site looks great, and look forward
            to the
            > English version. Well done!
            >
            > In XC
            > Deacon Geoffrey
            >
            > Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
            > Belfast, Northern Ireland
            > http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com

          • Priest Seraphim Holland
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
              No need to post a link. It points to the new site automatically.

              frjohnwhiteford wrote:

              > I've no idea why there was a need to change the domain name... unless
              > it had something to do with a web hosting package deal.
              >
              > If you wanted to find the web site for the ACLU, for example, you
              > could guess that it would be aclu.org, without resorting to a search
              > engine. Likewise, one could reasonably guess that the ROCOR's web
              > site would be rocor.org. You would have to find the new domain in a
              > search engine, or else just know what it was to find it. I would
              > hope that some one would at least post a link at the rocor.org page
              > to the new page.
              >
              > -Fr. John Whiteford
              >
              > --- In orthodox-rocor@y..., "Geoffrey Ready" <gready@n...> wrote:
              >
              >>Yes, I realise that, just like the domains .tv (Tuvalu), .to
              >>
              > (Tonga), .am
              >
              >>(Armenia), .fm (Micronesia), etc., .ws has been successfully re-
              >>
              > marketed by
              >
              >>American entrepreneurs as a "global" name. Incidentally, here in
              >>
              > Northern
              >
              >>Ireland some people were once duped into thinking the domain .ni
              >>
              > (Nicaragua)
              >
              >>applied to them -- they lost their domain names when there was a
              >>
              > change in
              >
              >>Nicaraguan government policy. And I've met someone who thought .tc
              >>
              > (Turks
              >
              >>and Caicos Islands) stood for "The Church"!
              >>
              >>I don't mean to quibble, but upon reflection, I honestly think
              >>
              > there is a
              >
              >>real danger of not being taken seriously if we adopt the domain
              >>
              > designation
              >
              >>of an obscure Pacific island. What was wrong with www.rocor.org?
              >>
              >>By the way, I also think the new site looks great, and look forward
              >>
              > to the
              >
              >>English version. Well done!
              >>
              >>In XC
              >>Deacon Geoffrey
              >>
              >>Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
              >>Belfast, Northern Ireland
              >>http://holytrinity.orthodoxireland.com

              Priest Seraphim Holland | seraphim@... PHONE: 972/529-2754
              CELL PHONE/PAGES: 214 336-3464 ADDR:2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75071
              Sermons, Q&A about Orthodox topics, Confession, FAQs, Parish info,links, more
              --> http://www.orthodox.net <--
            • boulia_1
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 19, 2002
                Dear Margaret,

                I'll presume to answer for Fr. Ilya: yes, that would be Father Peter
                of S.F. I knew that he was working on it myself, but was under the
                impression that he was heading or part of a committee.

                It's wonderful work indeed! And, knowing Father Peter's dedication to
                the non-Russian/English-speaking Orthodox, I'm sure the English
                version will be up soon.

                In Christ,
                Elizabeth