Re: [orthodox-rocor] Any ROCOR bishops attending Pope Francis Inauguraiton

  • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013

      From: gerasimos.rm
      \
      < . kissy kissy grovel grovel 'Nuff said.<<<<<

      It’s not “kissy kissy grovel grovel"at all.

      Plain speaking from Moscow to the Pope on the eve of the Pope’s Inauguration

      Russian Orthodox Metropolitan Hopes that Pope Francis Will Not Support Greek Catholics

      Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) of Volokolamsk of the Russian Orthodox Church expressed the hope that Pope Francis will continue the policy of rapprochement with the Orthodox Church and will not support, as he calls it, the expansion of the Ukrainian Greek Catholics, the site of Pravoslavie i Mir reports.

      “The union is the most painful topic in the Orthodox-Catholic dialogue, in relations between the Orthodox and the Catholics. If the pope will support the union, then, of course, it will bring no good," he said in a program on the channel Rosiya-1.

      One of Pope Francis’s teachers was a Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest, and the pope belongs to the Jesuit Order.

      Metropolitan Hilarion noted that the Orthodox often had a suspicious attitude toward the Jesuits.

      “It is believed that a Jesuit is someone who on the outside is one person, but inside someone else, says one thing, but means something else. This idea has been confirmed in real life by Jesuits and through our experience with such representatives,” said Metropolitan Hilarion.

      He also said that the head of the Catholic Church must take care of the whole church and its relations with other churches, not protect the interests of a particular order or region.

      “I hope that the positive momentum that we have had in our relations with the Roman Catholic Church under Pope Benedict XVI will continue under Pope Francis,” summed up the hierarch.

    • George Green
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2013
        As one poster has already noted none of this is becoming of the sort of thinking and behavior one should pursue during the fast, let alone encourage others to.

        Further America is not a backwater of Orthodoxy, The Publications of the Press of St Job, which was Started in Pochaev, and moved to Jordanville protected Orthodoxy when it was on the brink.  Those who made it out under the Bolsheviks were a core part of the heart of Orthodoxy. (Noting that few in the heartland of Orthodoxy have a family name of Sanchez, so I am confused where this self-righteous talk of where Orthodoxy might have a backwater comes from.)

        All of this stated I will add my thoughts on the inauguration of the Bishop of Rome is that it should be a Catholic event, not one for non-Catholics to be concerned with.  Indeed we've recently begun waiting forty days for a much more important event, and one which our thoughts should be turned to more than the Inauguration of a Roman Bishop, or insulting fellow Orthodoxy Christians.

        George Green
        L'viv Ukraine

        On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:06 AM, Gabriel Sanchez <gabriel.s.sanchez@...> wrote:

        Ladies and Gentleman,

        I won't speculate on why Bishop Tikhon, the hierarch of a very small subsection of Orthodoxy's backwater (i.e., United States), made his way onto the invitee list, nor will I bother to rehears all of the reasons it wouldn't make a lick of sense for a bishop from ROCOR -- an even smaller subset of Orthodoxy's 250 million members -- to attend, but seriously, is this necessary?

        Sitting as I do on the "other side of the divide," with sympathies quite out-of-step with the prevalent ethos of the Catholic Church, I can't help but nod my head in silent agreement with a certain trajectory of Orthodox criticisms of Rome. On the other hand, the Catholic Church has been anything but hostile to Orthodoxy since at least the Second Vatican Council (though I am sure there have been some localized tensions over the decades) and at some point the East will have to, well, grow up. I am as against ecumenical fist bumping as the next traditionalist, but I can't, for the life of me, see much good emanating from Orthodox wanting to put a sleeper hold on the Catholic Church at this quite sad and unfortunate point in human history. No, the doctrinal disagreements shouldn't be passed over lightly by either side, but really, there comes a point when the Orthodox will have to stop looking at the Catholic Church as those big meanies who sacked Constantinople 800 years ago. The world has moved on, and unfortunately it has moved on without Christ. What does alienating the Church which houses 1.2 billion souls do for anybody?

        And lest I be misunderstood, I don't believe for an instant that the Catholic Church writ large cares what Orthodox naysayers say about her (even if, in my heart, I believe it should now and again). The Orthodox can (and do) promulgate a plethora of misinformation, hyperbole, and reactionary criticisms against the Roman Church all of the time. The fact the Catholics don't take time out of their busy day (you know, when they're doing something "heretical" and "evil" like, say, praying the Rosary or reciting the Litany to the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ) to respond is hardly a reason for the Orthodox to take triumphalist comfort. The hard truth is that the Catholics don't care, and the Catholics who do care about the Orthodox realize that it's not in anybody's interest to throw down in the mud with them and yank out the most obscene accusations available in the effort to advance some ecclesial variant of one-upmanship. Those aren't the present marching orders and, I pray, they never again become such.

        Have a blessed Lent. I mean it as a Christian in the midst of Passion Week. As I told an Orthodox friend of mine this evening, the Orthodox do Lent well. I admire it. I wish I could be a part of it. Perhaps on the other side?

        Best,

        Gabriel

        On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM, tim22361 <tim22361@...> wrote:

        --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Michael Orechoff <morechoff@...> wrote:

        > Is any ROCOR bishop attending Pope Francis' inauguration tomorrow? Seems that if anyone should attend it should be Bishop John since the Pope went to the Nativity mass when he was a Cardinal in Argentina.
        >

        > Metropolitan Tikhon (OCA) is attending as is Patriarch Bartholomew.
        >

        > Mike Orechoff
        >
        > CA

        Hope not.

        --
        George Green

        This Message Sent By Third Corporation of New York, Inc
        The Information herein should be considered confidential to those included.

      • Chad W. Paul McBride
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2013
          At what? And way is the media covering this again? And calling him a patriarch, And saying that he became "a big deal", and the greatest religious leader in the Christian world after the spilt? He is just a demi god people.

          Chad W. Paul McBride
          What we do in life, Echoes in eternity
          Good suggestion. agree 100%. ROCOR should be represented.