Re: [orthodox-rocor] Daniel and the Three Youths in a Non-Kosher Cafeteria

  • jon
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
      Fr, John, bless!
      I wanted your take on the Old Testament phrase where it referes to the "sons of  God uniting with the daughters of man".  Is there were we got the race of giants like Goliath?  Were they angels analogous to the middle ages' Incubus demons?  It has always been a consternating story for me and one of my sola scriptura friends has challenged me on the meaning.

      In Christ,
      Sbdn.  Jon

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
        There are two different interpretations given for this by the Fathers. One is that the sons of God refer to the descendents of Seth, and the daughters of men refer to women from the line of Cain. The other interpretation is that the Sons of God were fallen angels, who somehow mated with women.

        If I had to go with one option, I personally find the first interpretation to be the more likely of the too.

        Presbyter John Whiteford
        St. Jonah Orthodox Church