Re: Commemoration Question

  • Felipe Ortiz
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2012
      If my memory serves me well, 15/28 Nov. is the feastday of St. Herman's repose, while 12/25 Dec. is the feastday of his burial.

      In 1837, there was no other Orthodox priest in Spruce Island, and St. Herman's Alutiiq disciples and friends had to travel in order to find one; so his body remained unburied for almost one month, until a priest could finally reach the island and perform his funeral service.

      I can no longer remember my source; I suppose it was F. A. Golder's "Father Herman: Alaska's Saint" (http://www.stherman.com/Catalog/In_The_Steps_of_Saint_Herman/golder_book.htm