Re: [orthodox-rocor] Closure of St. Michael’s Pari sh in Newark, NJ

  • David James
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 24, 2012
      Meg:

      Don't forget the Yolka at Christmastime. And, in addition to the St. Seraphim Camp and the St.Herman's Conference, St. Xenia's also encourages (and provides scholarships for) parishioners to attend the Summer School of Liturgical Music (where, not umimportantly, Church Slavonic is taught) and the annual choir conferences. All of which serve to integrate members of the parish, young and old, into the wider Church and strengthen their connection to it.

      David James
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2012
        On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:50 AM, David James <jamesdm49@...> wrote:

        Meg:

        Don't forget the Yolka at Christmastime. And, in addition to the St. Seraphim Camp and the St.Herman's Conference, St. Xenia's also encourages (and provides scholarships for) parishioners to attend the Summer School of Liturgical Music (where, not umimportantly, Church Slavonic is taught) and the annual choir conferences. All of which serve to integrate members of the parish, young and old, into the wider Church and strengthen their connection to it.

        David James

        I wasn't forgetting the Yolka, just assume that most parishes do at least that.  You're right, though, about all the activities that *integrate* the members of the parish, and I think that's the key.  About 10-15 years ago, the GOA introduced the idea of "focus groups," so that you had one group for the kids, one for young adults, one for  the 35-50 set, and another for "seniors" (like anybody wants to hang out with only geezers!!).  It hasn't stopped their parishes from declining.  (I should note that I am very officially a Geezer myself.)

        I said at the time, and continue to say, that the key to revitalization in parishes is exactly that integration.  OK, so you can't have kids in an adult Bible study, but it's folly to keep them out of the choir loft.  And why not get the girls and boys involved in church upkeep projects, or supplying embroidered analoy covers?  It's the surest way to get them invested in the future of the parish, if they can look at a deck on the back of the church and say, "I helped build that," or, "I learned how to embroider when my mother and the other ladies made that plaschanitsa."

        And of course, reinforcing at every turn our heritage as *Orthodox* Christians, not so that we can get all snobby about Our Religion Is Best, but so that we have that sense of historical continuity all the way back to 33 A.D., and so that, when a Protestant tells us that we don't have the Bible, we can talk intelligently about where the Bible actually came from.  *That's* Roots.

        In Christ,
        Meg