"I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit within you" - learning to read the heart and discriminate between the old and new ways.

  • Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2012
      The readings for Divine Liturgy on Pentecost give the story of Pentecost and our  Lord's prophesy of it. The take home for Pentecost is from one of the Vespers readings: "I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and will give you a heart of flesh." (Ezekiel 36:26) We can know a lot about Pentecost, but if we do not learn how to discern the old ways, which the heart falls into frequently, from the new ways, we will have learned nothing useful for our salvation. We look into how to learn to discern what is in our hearts, whether it be according to the old, or according to the new. The Holy Spirit will not continue to abide in a heart that does not seek after the new ways. We contrast new and old ways and discuss how to develop the skill to discern between them. This is a critically important subject. This homily is a bit longer than normal, but it is important, and it is difficult to discuss important things, and important skills in 12-15 minutes.

      You may view the latest post at
      http://orthodox.net/redeemingthetime/2012/06/04/i-will-give-you-a-new-heart-and-put-a-new-spirit-within-you-learning-to-read-the-heart-and-discriminate-between-the-old-and-new-ways/

      --
      Priest Seraphim Holland