Three important articles related to the Canons of the Church

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
      A Review of The Crazy Side of Orthodoxy, by Charles Shingledecker. Published by Regina Orthodox Press (2011). Reviewed by Patrick Barnes.

      http://orthodoxinfo.com/phronema/review-of-the-crazy-side-of-orthodoxy.aspx

      The Canons of the Church: Changeable or Unchangeable? by Nicholas N. Afanasiev, St. Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly 11, no. 2 (1967). First published in Russian in Zhivoe Predanie, Paris, 1936, YMCA Press, pp. 82.96. Translated by James Labeau:

      http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/the-canons-of-the-church-changeable-or-unchangeable.aspx

      A compilation of other quotes on "On Penances and their Use"

      http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/on-penances-and-their-use.aspx
    • Gabriel Sanchez

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
          It is a mainstream view that the Church is infallible, and here are the words of the 7th Ecumenical Council on the question:

          "...we welcome and embrace the divine Canons, and we corroborate the entire and rigid fiat of them that have been set forth by the renowned Apostles, who were and are trumpets of the Spirit, and those both of the six Holy Ecumenical Synods and of the ones assembled regionally for the purpose of setting forth such edicts, and of those of our Holy Fathers. For all those men, having been guided by the light dawning out of the same Spirit, prescribed rules that are to our best interest" (Canon I).

          Presbyter John Whiteford
          St. Jonah Orthodox Church
          Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

          "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.