Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: http://www.atfp.org/

  • Fr. Aidan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2011
      I am very remorseful for having mentioned specific politicians by name, as this violates the spirit and probably also the letter of the canons. It is incorrect and can cause scandal. Even to explain that I am "conservative" (in the older sense of "conservative," that is pre-neocon) is heading off down a wrong trail as it brings up nomenclature and categories which can be misunderstood, and can engender division, or give an impression that partisanship may exist (God forbid).

      I would like to thank those who wrote me privately to thank me for my comments, but, behold, this itself reveals how wrong it is to be specific in a political way, because for every person who thought, "Rah!" there were probably one or two or three who thought, "Bah!" And that's the definition of divisive.

      Fr. John, you did ask a simple and honest question, and I will answer it before I quit this thread I should never have entered. I will answer, but in a more discreet fashion than in my ill-considered blundering email.

      I believe that our young people are harmed through the sexual groping which is being foisted upon air travellers by our government. As you know, even children of very young ages receive such intrusive hand searches, and even infants are not exempted. In the United States, these sexual gropings which are perpetrated under the colour of "security" include manipulation of the genitals, breasts, and buttocks. These gropings include things which do not provide security, such as the squeezing of the breasts of girls, and the squeezing of the genitals of boys. These actions are illegal, yet are much on the increase. There are no few people who will retort, "Well, just don't fly, then! Problem solved!" The flaw with that non-solution is that the same "security" measures are slated to be implemented in coming months and years in shopping malls, public schools, sports stadiums, train stations, bus stations, and even on the open highways. There will be no way to escape them, if the government criminals are not stopped now. I do believe politicians who have stymied legislation which would have protected our young people from sexual molestation, constitute, by virtue of their obstruction, a danger to our youth, not to mention our adults. All that had to be done, was to allow the protections to be put in place. But protectiveness was thwarted, attacked, and stopped.

      I also believe that the illegal action taken in Texas, to force all young girls to consume a dangerous medication, one known to cause an alarming percentage of deaths, exposed our young people to needless and serious danger, including danger of fatality. I believe, based on available data and objective observation, that these dangers are more immediate a risk to our flocks and our young people, than the risk of a nuclear attack from a certain Mideast nation which has never threatened to initiate an attack against our own nation.

      Involvement in the Mexican drug wars, which have been devastating as to the high numbers of civilian murders, including allowing the Mexican army to stage operations within Texas, shooting and killing persons on Texas soil; the supplying of firearms to Mexican cartels--all of this seems to be at least as risky as vague threats of possible future terrorist attacks.

      There is ample precedent, in the tradition of our Orthodox Church, for viewing sexual defilement of the young as even worse than the physical murder of the young. One could turn for corroboration to St. John Chrysostom's sermon on the blissful martyrs Domnina, Berenice, and Prosdochi.

      The growing, harvesting, bundling, and shipping to market of dangerous illegal drugs (I am thinking specifically of opium from poppies) endangers probably more lives than terrorists wearing scary headgear. However, I've not delved into those statistics.

      I am powerfully opposed to those responsible for the heinous acts I've mentioned above, whether they masquerade as Christian "conservatives," as they often do, or state they are "liberals." Either way, impiety is impiety, and the resulting harm and risk to our flocks and their young people is not something contingent, theoretical, or potential, but is real and is already present, already occurring. I cannot be silent in the face of these evils, although I can learn with God's help not to name names. And all of us can learn to put our trust not in any candidate, political party, or non-profit organisation, but in the mighty arm of God and the strong prayers of the Most Pure Virgin and all the Saints.

      As a clergyman who in his secular employment acts every day to protect children (I work for Family Protective Services), I may have unusually strong sentiments on the defiling of young children and minors, on forcing children to take unhelpful and life-threatening medications (no matter who that practice enriches), and on the drug trade and the deaths it involves.

      I stand by those sentiments, and furthermore I call upon our pastors to take an interest as well. If in the future we must be branded as subversives for doing so, and must be seen as enemies of the public, or as extremists, or if we must even face prison time for standing up to the rising tide of evil, then so be it. That would be, er, most apostolic of us <g>.

      I ask for forgiveness if I have occasioned offense, and for the prayers of all,

      Hieromonk Aidan+
      Holy Protection Orthodox Church, Austin, Texas
      http://www.orthodoxaustin.org

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2011
        Dear Fathers, Brothers, and Sisters,

        I and a small group of Russian Orthodox faithful, are exploring the possibility of re-opening the dormant ROCOR Mission to San Antonio, Texas. Currently, I have only four adults' names who are interested parties. Three of them, fairly regularly, drive the hour and a half up to just north of Austin, for Liturgy at our expanding ROCOR parish of Holy Protection.

        Does anyone have information regarding either a venue for services to be held in, or interested persons? Perhaps there are former parishioners from your ROCOR parish, who now reside in San Antonio, Texas?

        San Antonio is the seventh largest city in the United States, yet the nearest old-calendar Orthodox church is an hour and a half away.

        How would we begin, contingent--of course--upon a blessing for renewed activities from Bishop Peter? Well, it might look something like the following.  (Keep in mind it's brainstorming.)

        - every week, Tuesday evening Vespers
        - every week, Wednesday morning Divine Liturgy
        - once per month Sunday Liturgy, preceded by confessions and the Hours, and followed by trapeza

        If there is any way you can assist this effort, please let me know on this group or privately (my contact info is below and is also there on the ROCOR official website's parish and clergy directory). Any pointers, support, information on interested persons, etc., will help our brainstorming to take some shape. That will then give me something specific to ask Bishop Peter's blessing for.

        Thanks very much in advance, and may God bless you abundantly for any help,

        Hieromonk Aidan (Keller)
        cell 512 696 6890
        Holy Protection Orthodox Church, Austin, Texas
        1701 Peridot Rd., Pflugerville, Tx 78660

      • Adamiak Family
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2011
          Dear Fr. Aidan, Bless!  Thank you for speaking out and especially for exhorting other clergy to speak on these matters such as you have addressed.  As a mother of five, it has been very hard to help my children on the way through life to salvation.  I have often struggled with leaders of the church who not only don't speak out against evil but actually support it.  Almighty God and His Most Holy Mother help us!  Aleksandra Adamiak