Important stuff!! about morality in the Epistles read at the Vespers for Peter and Paul

  • Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2011
      The epistles of St Peter effectively answer the "new" heresy among many Christians and even Orthodox Christians that uses emotional arguments to state that homosexuals who are active sexually can have relationships and even marriages that are blessed by God. People who say such things do not understand holiness, but Peter does.

      In text format, also avail in Audio. Synopsis: A short exegesis of the 3 selections from the Epistles of the Apostle Peter, read at the Vespers for the feast of the Apostles Peter and Paul. The difference between their writings is explored. The Apostle Peter writes with simplicity and the conviction and wisdom that can only be gained by a life lived well, with many moral admonitions, based upon a deep understanding of what the God-man has done for us. It is like listening to your wise grandfather imparting his wisdom at the end of his life. He does not feel compelled to give detailed proofs, but he merely speaks with overpowering conviction because of experience. A few of verses from the selections are explored to illustrate this kind of "fireside chat" character of his writings. Those who are temped to call themselves Christians and still not heed the words of the Apostle " abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul" should read the Apostle with greater care and humility. We are in an age that very much needs to heed the words of the Apostle Peter. There is also a short excursus into Peter's restoration and how he was able eventually to say to His Lord, not only did he have affection for Him, but that He loved him with an all consuming, perfect love. This love is only possible if the admonitions of Peter are heeded.

      You may view the latest post at
      http://orthodox.net/redeemingthetime/2011/07/14/important-stuff-about-morality-in-the-epistles-read-at-the-vespers-for-peter-and-paul/

      --
      Priest Seraphim Holland 972 529-2754 C:972 658-5433
      ST NICHOLAS ORTHODOX CHURCH  => http://www.orthodox.net

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
        Thank you, Father, for posting these homilies.  I especially appreciated the homily about St. Jacinthus, since I was unaware that he was so young.

        This one just made it into my inbox, and it reminds me of a question I have for the list at large:  Has anyone figured out where these people are coming from, who say that St. Paul's "great affliction" (2 Corinthians 12:7-9) was that he was a homosexual?!  I've never been able to figure that one out, and I keep hearing it from mainline Protestants who are absolutely sure of it.  I'd love to be able to refute it.

        Thanks,
        Margaret Lark

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
          There is absolutely no basis for such speculation. In fact, St. Paul indicates the nature of the thorn in the flesh in Galatians:

          "And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me" (Galatians 4:14-15).

          We also see many other references to an eye problem of some sort:

          "See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand!" (Galatians 6:11).

          St. Paul's epistles frequently reference someone else writing the epistle. Here, St. Paul indicates that they can tell that he is writing these words himself by how large the letters are.

          Presbyter John Whiteford
          St. Jonah Orthodox Church
          Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
          Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

          "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
            On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Fr. John Whiteford <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:

            There is absolutely no basis for such speculation. In fact, St. Paul indicates the nature of the thorn in the flesh in Galatians:

            "And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me" (Galatians 4:14-15).

            We also see many other references to an eye problem of some sort:

            "See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand!" (Galatians 6:11).

            St. Paul's epistles frequently reference someone else writing the epistle. Here, St. Paul indicates that they can tell that he is writing these words himself by how large the letters are.

            Presbyter John Whiteford

            Ah, that makes sense -- thank you, Father, and thanks for the Scripture references.  When dealing with Protestants of any stripe, it helps to have Scripture references to back up what you say.  Which is the very least of the reasons I find this off-the-wall claim so disturbing -- I can't see *where* they'd come up with it.

            Kissing your right hand,
            Meg Lark
          • Fr. Aidan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
              Fr. John is correct, there is no basis in the Fathers for an interpretation of the "sting of the flesh" which bedeviled St. Paul, being homosexuality, or, more accurately, same-sex attraction. We can't just make stuff up, but rather we obtain a clear picture of what the Scriptures mean from those who gave them to us, and their disciples, within the holy tradition of the Church.

              Fr. Aidan+
              sinner