Re: Normalization of Relations

  • ggtemidis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2011
      morechoff@... wrote:

      > Why isnt the Japanese Orthodox Church on the list? It seems they are in the Moscow Patriarch camp.
      >
      > How is it determined who has normalized relations with ROCOR? Is the list a list of churches that were aligned with Moscow before the revolution?

      Mike,

      The list in the encyclical is the Diptych (sp?) list of the Russian Orthodox Church - MP. The churches are listed in the same order in which they occur in Moscow's official commemoration list:
      The Orthodox Church of Constantinople
      The Orthodox Church of Alexandria
      The Orthodox Church of Antioch
      The Orthodox Church of Jerusalem
      The Georgian Orthodox Church
      The Serbian Orthodox Church
      The Romanian Orthodox Church
      The Bulgarian Orthodox Church
      The Cypriot Orthodox Church
      The Orthodox Church of Greece
      The Albanian Orthodox Church
      The Polish Orthodox Church
      The Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church
      The Orthodox Church in America

      The Eastern American Diocese issued the encyclical to its clergy < http://www.eadiocese.org/News/2011/june/cancomm.en.htm > in which the following was included, from the Church Abroad Sobor: "ROCOR, as an inseparable part of the Russian Orthodox Church, is in Eucharistic communion with all of the remaining canonical Local Orthodox Churches".
      The Japanese Church is an autonomous church under Moscow (so is the Ukrainian, with even "wider" autonomy than Japan. There are others, as well. This list includes only autocepahlous churches. It is this list, which in addition to Moscow (between Jerusalem and Georgia) is the "list of 15 autocephalous churches" according to Moscow. Some (including Constantinople) have a list of 14 (excluding OCA) and a slightly different order of commemorations. It is this order that was the issue that ended the last pan-orthodox pre-conciliar commission meeting early (in March 2011). You can read about that here: http://byztex.blogspot.com/2011/03/eni-news-on-recent-orthodox-pre.html

      George Temidis (ROCOR)
    • Chad W. Paul McBride
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
        Thank you so much for this list.

        Chad W. Paul McBride
        What we do in life, Echoes in eternity

      • morechoff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
          So ROCOR clergy can concelebrate in the autonomous churches such as the Japanese Orthodox church?

          Mike Orechoff
          CA

          > Why isnt the Japanese Orthodox Church on the list? It seems they are in the Moscow Patriarch camp.
          >
          > How is it determined who has normalized relations with ROCOR? Is the list a list of churches that were aligned with Moscow before the revolution?

          Mike,

          The list in the encyclical is the Diptych (sp?) list of the Russian Orthodox Church - MP. The churches are listed in the same order in which they occur in Moscow's official commemoration list:
          The Orthodox Church of Constantinople
          The Orthodox Church of Alexandria
          The Orthodox Church of Antioch
          The Orthodox Church of Jerusalem
          The Georgian Orthodox Church
          The Serbian Orthodox Church
          The Romanian Orthodox Church
          The Bulgarian Orthodox Church
          The Cypriot Orthodox Church
          The Orthodox Church of Greece
          The Albanian Orthodox Church
          The Polish Orthodox Church
          The Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church
          The Orthodox Church in America

          The Eastern American Diocese issued the encyclical to its clergy < http://www.eadiocese.org/News/2011/june/cancomm.en.htm > in which the following was included, from the Church Abroad Sobor: "ROCOR, as an inseparable part of the Russian Orthodox Church, is in Eucharistic communion with all of the remaining canonical Local Orthodox Churches".
          The Japanese Church is an autonomous church under Moscow (so is the Ukrainian, with even "wider" autonomy than Japan. There are others, as well. This list includes only autocepahlous churches. It is this list, which in addition to Moscow (between Jerusalem and Georgia) is the "list of 15 autocephalous churches" according to Moscow. Some (including Constantinople) have a list of 14 (excluding OCA) and a slightly different order of commemorations. It is this order that was the issue that ended the last pan-orthodox pre-conciliar commission meeting early (in March 2011). You can read about that here: http://byztex.blogspot.com/2011/03/eni-news-on-recent-orthodox-pre.html

          George Temidis (ROCOR)

        • Fr David Straut
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2011
            Dear Mike,

            The Japanese Orthodox Church is an Autonomous Church under The Church of Russia. Why would you even think that there was a possibility that ROCOR would not concelebrate with them? We are not only both Orthodox, but we are even under the same Mother Church.

            Archpriest David Straut