Vladika Jerome celebrates at Christminster Western Rite Monastery in Canada

  • Nathaniel Philosophos Uhlman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
      The weekend of 28-29 May 2001 was marked by great joy at the monastery
      as we received on his first visit to Canada and to Christminster our
      Bishop Jerome. He had come to ordain our monk Dom Joseph (DelGiorno) to
      the diaconate. In an impressive and well-attended Mass on Saturday,
      celebrated according to the western rite, Bishop Jerome first tonsured
      Father Joseph as a cleric, then ordained him, successively, as a Reader,
      Subdeacon, and finally Deacon. The newly ordained Father Joseph chanted
      the Gospel at the Mass.

      Fr. Joseph chanting Gospel
      Abbot James assisted the Bishop in the role of Archdeacon, presenting
      the candidate and assisting at the altar. Recently ordained in New York,
      Father Deacon Robert Sherwood also assisted at the service.

      A professional videotape of the service was made, and after being edited
      will be available in a ten-minute and a thirty-minute version on
      YouTube. Father Daniel assisted in taking numerous still photos of the
      services.

      Several local Orthodox and Anglican clergy attended as well as many
      friends of the monastery. A sumptuous and festive meal was served in the
      monastic refectory to honour our two new deacons, the feast having been
      prepared by Lillias Sherwood and her able team of assistants, and served
      with the help of, and under the watchful eye of, our Mother Sophia. The
      weather cooperated, and many were able to bring their food out to the
      patio-garden and enjoy the plants and flowers recently arranged there by
      Fr. Constantine.

      Bishop Jerome remained for the celebration of our Sunday Mass and
      preached on the liberty of the Christian. At Lauds on Sunday, he
      formally blessed Dom James as Abbot, and bestowed on him the miter and
      crosier of the abbot’s office. While Dom James had been abbot for
      years, the formal ceremony of the blessing of an abbot had never been
      performed until now.

      All were genuinely delighted at Bishop Jerome’s company and his
      kindliness. We look forward to his visiting us again.

      source: http://christminster.org/2011/05/joyous-weekend-at-christminster/
      (interesting photos of Vladika in Western Rite Bishop's vestments on the
      website)
    • kseniagutzke
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011
        Thanks for posting this. I am interested in seeing the living tradition of Western Rite on your website, and learning more about it. I will be able to refer to the photo of your Vladika in his vestments the next time I make an icon of a Western saint. Frequently there are not as many iconographic sources for Western saints as there are for Greek and Russian (and others). Ksenia Gutzke from SE TX