Re: PRIVATE the Kindle - Help?

  • nickofmyra
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
      Hi,

      is it possible that people could post the links for both the Psalter and the Jordanville Prayer book please. I've spent quite a bit of time googling (is that a word?) trying to find the Prayer Book but with no luck.

      Many thanks

      In Christ

      Deacon Paul

      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Chris Gorman <criostoir1971@...> wrote:

      > I have a pdf copy of the Russian Orthodox Psalter, which is now out of print and being prepared for re-publication by Holy Trinity Monastery. If you would like me to send you a copy for your Kindle, let me know.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Chris

    • Rev. Alexander Lebedeff
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
        Dear Olga,

        The first thingyou need to do is to install a program named "Calibre",
        the most complete e-book managing tool.

        http://calibre-ebook.com/

        It's free and will convert just about any e-book format to any other,
        including converting epub to MOBI (which is the Kindle format).

        So, basically, you can forget about searching for books and materials
        only in Kindle format--you can get books in Microsoft Word format,
        .pdf, html and many others.

        As far as finding materials, look at this page which has links to the
        "five best" ebook search engines:

        http://woorkup.com/2010/03/21/the-5-best-ebook-search-engines/

        Also check out:

        http://www.ebook-search-engine.com/

        and there are many others.

        How you have great success.

        Post links to some of your findings to this list so that others can
        find them, too.

        With love in Christ,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

        Thursday, January 13, 2011, you wrote:

        > hello all!

        > hope everyone had a wonderful Nativity!

        > I received a Kindle reader recently, and am wondering if anyone has
        > any experience downloading Orthodox prayer books, psalters, calendars etc. onto the Kindle.

        > Amazon has very little, but I did download St. John of Kronstadt's
        > "My Life in Christ" and the Orthodox Bible. I did find the
        > Jordanville Prayer Book as well on another site.

        > For anything else I will have to go into the new for me world of
        > ebook downloading, and I haven't had much luck finding sites with Orthodox materials.

        > Does anyone have any experience with this? thanks so much!

        > In Christ,
        > Olga Cherrin

        > near Toronto, Ontario
      • Fr David Straut
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
          Dear Father Paul,

          When I need the text of the Psalter, I get it from links on the website of the POMOG (Protection of the Mother of God Church, Rochester, New York): http://pomog.org/index.html?http://pomog.org/psalter.shtml

          Archpriest David Straut

          On 15 January 2011 06:53, nickofmyra <nickofmyra@...> wrote:

          Hi,

          is it possible that people could post the links for both the Psalter and the Jordanville Prayer book please. I've spent quite a bit of time googling (is that a word?) trying to find the Prayer Book but with no luck.

          Many thanks

          In Christ

          Deacon Paul

          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Chris Gorman <criostoir1971@...> wrote:

          > I have a pdf copy of the Russian Orthodox Psalter, which is now out of print and being prepared for re-publication by Holy Trinity Monastery. If you would like me to send you a copy for your Kindle, let me know.
          >
          > In Christ,
          > Chris

        • Rev. Alexander Lebedeff
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
            The Jordanville Prayer Book (Classic) is available online at:

            http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm

            With love in Christ,
            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

          • ambrois@xtra.co.nz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 15, 2011
              From: "Rev. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...>

              > The Jordanville Prayer Book (Classic) is available online at:

              > http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm

              This is also back in print, thanks to the blessing of Metropolitan Laurus.

              It is the original Jordanville Prayer Book of Father Lazarus Moore and its
              primary difference is that it uses "Mother of God" throughout and not
              "Theotokos" - a term the English haved steadfastly resisted.

              English supplier:
              http://www.sgois.co.uk/

              American Supplier:
              http://www.sjkp.org/