Morning prayer to Christ

  • criostoir1971
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2010
      In our morning prayers, the eighth prayer (directed to Our Lord Jesus Christ) closes with the following sentence:

      "But supremely shall I work for Thee, my Lord and God, Jesus Christ, all the days of my life, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen."

      However, in the Old Rite prayer book, the same prayer is found at the end of the Canon to Jesus (pages 150-151), and instead of the previously-cited sentence, the prayer goes on to say:

      "And grant, O Lord, that I may have love and obedience toward my superiors (abbot) and toward all the brethren in Christ, without condemnation until my very last breath. O Lord, make me to know mine end, and the number of my days. And at the departure of my soul, send guardian angels of peace to protect my wretched soul from demonic attacks, from the exacting toll-houses of the aerial rulers and from the lot of the goats on Thy left. And deliver me from eternal torment, and vouchsafe me to stand at Thy right hand, O just Judge, with all those who from all ages have been pleasing unto Thee, through the prayers of Thy most pure Mother and of all the saints: For blessed are Thou unto ages. Amen."

      Does anyone know when and why the prayer was shortened/changed?

      Yours in Christ,
      Chris Gorman