Roman Catholic hermit priest and patristic scholar embraces Orthodoxy......

  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2010

      Last Friday evening, the eve of the Dormition, a Roman Catholic hieromonk
      Gabriel (Bunge) of the Order of Saint Benedict who has lived a solitary life
      in the Swiss mountains for over thirty years was received into Orthodoxy
      by Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) and Metropolitan Kallistos (Ware.)

      Fr. Gabriel is a renowned Benedictine hermit and considered a master
      of Patristic thought.

      http://www.mospat.ru/en/2010/08/28/news24929/

      Gaudete!

      Hmonk Ambrose

      Fr Gabriel at his reception...

    • bismarc otto
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
        Great! Maybe we have another Abbot Guette? Whom was a Jesuit that converted shortly before Vatican1 & gave us "The Papacy" a book explaining how Roman theologians (among them Fr.Guette's former Jesuit colleagues) changed words or added a word here & there to prop up Papal (falise) positions.
        In Christ
        Xenos Mann

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
          By the way, Father Gabriel (Bunge), is the monk on the right, in this photo, should any of you have been wondering.
          Abbot Tryphon

          --
          Very Rev. Abbot Tryphon
          All-Merciful Saviour Monastery
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2010
            Father Gabriel is the author of an excellent book on St Andrei Rublev's famous icon of the Hospitality of Abraham.

            Isaac (Gerald) Herrin

            "I had many things to write, but I do not wish to write to thee by means of ink and reed-pen; but I hope to see thee straightway, and we shall speak face to face."

            On Sep 1, 2010, at 12:19 PM, bismarc otto <ikonsareholy@...> wrote:

            Great! Maybe we have another Abbot Guette? Whom was a Jesuit that converted shortly before Vatican1 & gave us "The Papacy" a book explaining how Roman theologians (among them Fr.Guette's former Jesuit colleagues) changed words or added a word here & there to prop up Papal (falise) positions.
            In Christ
            Xenos Mann
          • ikonsareholy
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
              --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Fr Tryphon <frtryphon@...> wrote:

              > By the way, Father Gabriel (Bunge), is the monk on the right, in this photo,
              > should any of you have been wondering.
              > Abbot Tryphon
              SOrry to sound ignorant(cause on this I am)but are there any books he has that are easy to find & possibly buy? I am still on the 2nd volume of the Philokalia but someone I forget here said that he is very good in some areas.
              In Christ
              Xenos Mann
            • Fr Tryphon
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
                Google his name, and you'll find his books, and the publishing house.