Re: [orthodox-rocor] I have a hymn question and a choral question

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2010
      Somebody else will probably have a better answer for this, but anyway:

      On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Randy Tijerina <rtijerina3@...> wrote:

      My Brother's and sisters in Christ, I have a hymn question for you.
      would anyone possibbly be able to translate for me or provide me with
      a link to both a Slavonic text and an English text of a hymn called,
      god is the lord?

      In English it's, "God is the Lord and hath appeared unto us.  Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord."  In Slavonic:  "Bog Gospod' i yavisya nam, blagosloven' grady vo Imya Gospodnye."

      and, the next is, How on earth do you male singers manage to hit the
      bass registers, that russian Orthodox chanting is so famous for?
      It's increddible!
      I'm Catholic as you know. No choirs that I know of in the west ever
      hit any bass notes.
      How's that possible?

      Training, mostly, plus, I suppose it's possible that men with Russian blood and natural bass voices have that capability.  I put it that way (which could sound racist, frankly) because I'm thinking of my son, who, with no formal vocal training whatsoever, sings naturally in that range.  Listen to him try to sing rock 'n' roll and you'd swear he was tone-deaf; listen to him sing Church music and his voice is heavenly.  I've had more compliments on his voice!

      Choirs in the West have grown lazy, that's why they can't hit really high or low notes.  They have this attitude that "music should be accessible to The People," and forget that really GOOD music lifts the soul of the listener up to God in prayer.  Yes, I am speaking from experience.

      I was joking with a monk from Holy Trinity who said something like
      it's kvass or tea or vodka. I think he was just trying to be funny. I
      know that drinking is not permitted in monasteries.

      I must admit, that's news to me.  Vodka I could see, although I think that if a monk goes to a party at someone's house and is offered vodka, it's not a problem for him to accept it.  But kvass or wine -- I'm pretty sure those appear at least on festive occasions.  I'm sure someone on this list knows for sure what the story is.

      So, Randy -- when are you going to convert??    ;->

      In Christ,
      Meg