Glorification of Saint Justin Popovich

  • Philosoph Uhlman
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2010
      Serbian Church glorifies Father Justin Popovic, Father Simeon of Dajbabe

      The Holy Assembly of Bishops of the Serbian Orthodox Church has
      released this communiqué:

      At its afternoon session on April 29 of this year, the Holy Assembly
      of Bishops of the Serbian Orthodox Church unanimously adopted the
      recommendations of the responsible diocesan bishops and added to the
      diptychs of the saints of the Orthodox Church the names of
      Archimandrite Justin Popovic spiritual father of the Chelije Monastery
      near Valjevo of blessed memory (1894-1979), hereafter known as our
      Venerable Father Justin of Chelije, and Simeon Popovic, abbot of the
      Dajbabe Monastery near Podgorica (1854-1941), hereafter known as our
      Venerable Father Simeon of Dajbabe.

      The liturgical commemoration of our Venerable Father Justin will be on
      June 1 on the old calendar (June 14 according to the new calendar),
      and the commemoration of our Venerable Father Simeon will be
      celebrated on March 19 on the old calendar (April 1 o the new calendar).

      The festal glorification of these newly-canonized God-pleasing ones
      will take place at the Holy Hierarchical Liturgy of the Holy Assembly
      of Bishops next Sunday, May 2, at St. Sava Church on Vracar in
      Belgrade, beginning at 9:00 AM.

      O our Venerable and God-bearing Fathers Justin and Simeon, pray to God
      for us!

      -------------
      Reader Philosophos Uhlman
      St. Sophia Church
      Victoria BC Canada
    • Simon, Steven
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2010

        Dear Mike,

        The pre-Nikonian Great Potrebnik in which we found the service for the funeral of a hierarch made no mention of covering the bishop’s face. However, we knew that this is the normal practice. At first we covered his face when we brought him into the church. But then many parishioners pleaded for us to let his face be uncovered during the funeral. Fr. Theodore, our assistant priest, asked the presiding hierarch, Bishop George,  if he had any strong objections to that being done, and he told Fr. Theodore, that if that is what was the desire, he had no objections. After the absolution prayer, the klobuk with its veil was placed over Vladika Daniel’s face and he was carried out of the church and remained in that form at the cemetery until the anointing oil was poured over him and the shroud covered him. Then the lid of the coffin was placed onto the coffin.

        Fr. Pimen Simon

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2010
          This makes me wonder if it was always the practice to cover the face of hierarches, clergy, monastics? Does anyone know if this was not always the case and when it became a practice? As of late, I've noticed that in non-ROCOR funerals there seems to be an increase at clergy funerals of leaving the face uncovered. As I recall even Bishop Job's (OCA) face was uncovered. Can anyone offer some insight on this practice? Thanks.

          Valeria

          --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Simon, Steven" <ssimon@...> wrote:

          > Dear Mike,
          > The pre-Nikonian Great Potrebnik in which we found the service for the funeral of a hierarch made no mention of covering the bishop's face. However, we knew that this is the normal practice. At first we covered his face when we brought him into the church. But then many parishioners pleaded for us to let his face be uncovered during the funeral. Fr. Theodore, our assistant priest, asked the presiding hierarch, Bishop George, if he had any strong objections to that being done, and he told Fr. Theodore, that if that is what was the desire, he had no objections. After the absolution prayer, the klobuk with its veil was placed over Vladika Daniel's face and he was carried out of the church and remained in that form at the cemetery until the anointing oil was poured over him and the shroud covered him. Then the lid of the coffin was placed onto the coffin.
          > Fr. Pimen Simon

        • Al
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2010
            ***mA little over a year ago, our rector emeritus, Archpriest Stephen Dutko, fell asleep in the Lord. His face was uncovered until just before the casket was to be closed. His son, Archpriest James Dutko, covered his dad's face with a goledn-colored cloth that looked a little like a small Aer. The casket was closed and taken to the cemetery.

            Al

            --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "sajezv" <sajezv@...> wrote:

            > This makes me wonder if it was always the practice to cover the face of hierarches, clergy, monastics? Does anyone know if this was not always the case and when it became a practice? As of late, I've noticed that in non-ROCOR funerals there seems to be an increase at clergy funerals of leaving the face uncovered. As I recall even Bishop Job's (OCA) face was uncovered. Can anyone offer some insight on this practice? Thanks.
            >
            > Valeria
            >
            > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Simon, Steven" <ssimon@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Mike,
            > > The pre-Nikonian Great Potrebnik in which we found the service for the funeral of a hierarch made no mention of covering the bishop's face. However, we knew that this is the normal practice. At first we covered his face when we brought him into the church. But then many parishioners pleaded for us to let his face be uncovered during the funeral. Fr. Theodore, our assistant priest, asked the presiding hierarch, Bishop George, if he had any strong objections to that being done, and he told Fr. Theodore, that if that is what was the desire, he had no objections. After the absolution prayer, the klobuk with its veil was placed over Vladika Daniel's face and he was carried out of the church and remained in that form at the cemetery until the anointing oil was poured over him and the shroud covered him. Then the lid of the coffin was placed onto the coffin.
            > > Fr. Pimen Simon

          • subdeaconmichaelastley
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2010
              Something else that I noticed was that, at the Little Entrance, Bishop Jerome blessed with the trikiri in his left hand the dikiri in his right? Is this also peculiar to the Old Rite? I asked in response to the Youtube video from the Eastern American diocese but my question was deleted and then comments were disabled.

              In Christ,
              Michael
            • Fr. Seraphim Wing
              Message 6 of 8 , May 19, 2010
                Dear Subdeacon Michael,

                Yes, in the Old Rite the Dikiri has the 'first place,' always in the right hand of the hierarch, and the trikiri has the 'second place' in his left hand.

                In Christ,
                priest Seraphim Wing

                To: orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com
                From: subdeaconmichael@...
                Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:58:56 +0000
                Subject: [orthodox-rocor] Re: Bishop Daniels Funeral

                Something else that I noticed was that, at the Little Entrance, Bishop Jerome blessed with the trikiri in his left hand the dikiri in his right? Is this also peculiar to the Old Rite? I asked in response to the Youtube video from the Eastern American diocese but my question was deleted and then comments were disabled.

                In Christ,
                Michael

              • Sajez, Valeria
                Message 7 of 8 , May 19, 2010
                  OOOOO..... Another difference. I'm not sure I knew that.

                  To: orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com
                  From: subdeaconmichael@...
                  Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:58:56 +0000