Re: 60 Minutes report on the Ecumenical Patriarchate

  • ikonsareholy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2009
      --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, "Al" <aggreen1@...> wrote:

      > ***I caught that...but only from the perspective of the journalist, Bob Simon, a Jew. Simon seemed to be trying to draw parellels between the RCs and the Orthodox for the sake of creating an understanding among the uninitiated among the 60 Minutes audience. I do remember the E.P. chuckling in a somewhat disapproving manner when he and Simon were descending stairs and Simon suggested he was our pope. I wonder how much of the interview and story ended up on the proverbial cutting room floor? And I've never understood why the E.P. has not educated priests right at the Phanar. One does not need a formal school like Halki to educate future priests. After all, monks on Mt. Athos are regularly ordained to the priesthood without formal education for sacramental purposes at the monastery to which they belong. I've known of deacons in the U.S. ordained without formal seminary education.
      *Xenos* Al this is where we agree that in Orthodoxy we have many who perceive the EP or MP(3rd Rome) as head as in comparision to the RC pope modern day status. I use to see this just a error in the minds of many in the west. However I think its more a psychological mindset to want a emperor in defacto charge. Part of it is well our fault too as we see in the early Church a fight amongst Greeks & the Roman part of the Church to be Universal Bishop w/St. John the lesser of Byzantium(this was refuted well by St.Gregory the Great, Pope of Rome), then of course Russia not being under Islam as well the last great Orthodox Monarchy led nation laid claim to this day(even though Russia in line to the EP has never ranked higher than 5th). Offically Rome has the Petrine doctrine, we have it sadly in the minds of too many. Helps me undertand why I liked the late Serbian Patriarch Pavle as well the Jerusaluem Patriarch so much.
      In Christ
      Xenos Mann