Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: Forming Orthodox Church in North America

    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM, woogbear <albancsa@...> wrote:

      > I have not run into that opinion in any of the Greeks that I have known,
      > both Old Calendar and New Calendar. In fact, my parish prist in the
      > Greek Archdiocese has always had a very favorable opinion of the Russian
      > Orthodox Church and of the struggles and confession of the Faith by the
      > hierarchs, clergy, and faithful of the ROCOR. We have even has a
      > visitation to our parish by the Kursk Root Icon of the Most Holy
      > Theotokos.
      >
      > Alban Mosher

      [ml] Wow, you are very blessed to be in this kind of parish! In my
      parish, we had a priest who told me -- on two separate occasions, yet
      -- "Russians are stupid" (sic). I know *one* priest in the GOA whose
      opinion of the ROCOR is favorable; the rest either ignore Russians
      altogether, or have these off-the-wall notions about Russian practices
      (such as the priest who assured me that Russians only do corporate
      confession, and priests don't hear individual confessions -- I KNOW
      that's a lie, but he believed it absolutely).

      When the Softener of Evil Hearts icon came to our neck of the woods,
      we advertised it heavily in our parish bulletin and newsletter. NOT
      ONE member of our parish went to visit the icon (except me).

      So I don't see the Greeks consenting to come under the omophorion of
      any Russian Bishop, and in fact, I'll be interested to see how they
      think this idea of American Orthodoxy will shape up. I know what I
      *think* will happen!

      In Christ,
      Meg

      > --- In orthodox-rocor@yahoogroups.com, Meg Lark <woolfolk3@...> wrote:
      > >
      > Then there are the Greeks, many of whom sincerely believe that you
      > can't be Orthodox if you aren't Greek -- there's even a book out, "What
      > Every Greek Orthodox Should Know," that claims you *have* to call
      > yourself *Greek* Orthodox because all of Orthodoxy stems from the
      > Greeks.
    • Seraphim Larsen
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 5, 2009
        Ancient Faith Radio has an informative broadcast on the Chambesy conference and its implications for the Orthodox Church in North America.  I was a bit surprised how much they continue to neglect ROCOR in the discussions, but it was still informative and useful to listen.

        http://ancientfaith.com/specials/unraveling_chambesy

        Seraphim Larsen - Florence AZ - (520) 413-5957
        http://www.cactusforest.net

        On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Seraphim Larsen <seraphim37@...> wrote:
        No one seems to have mentioned the official documents of the June 2009 Chambesy conference, in which all autocephalous Orthodox Churches participated (except the OCA, which was not invited).  The Moscow Patriarchate took part, so it does include ROCOR.

        I just found out about this whole thing myself about a week ago -- I am very surprised this hasn't been more widely publicized, since it will directly affect every Orthodox parish in North America.

        Here is the summary text from the GOA website, with links to the official documents at the end.

        Chambesy Documents

        Historic decisions on canonical order of world Orthodoxy are enacted under the leadership of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and with the agreement of all the Autocephalous Churches.

        Pre-Conciliar Pan-Orthodox Conference Approves New Episcopal Assemblies throughout the World

        At the invitation of His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, delegates from the fourteen Autocephalous Churches participated in the historic Fourth Pre-Conciliar Pan-Orthodox Conference, meeting at the Center of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Chambésy-Geneva, Switzerland on June 6-12, 2009. The Conference was a direct result of the Synaxis of the Heads of all the Orthodox Churches, convened by His All Holiness at the Ecumenical Patriarchate October 10-12, 2008. At that time, all the Heads, expressed their “desire for the swift healing of every canonical anomaly that has arisen from historical circumstances and pastoral requirements, such as in the so-called Orthodox Diaspora, with a view to overcoming every possible influence that is foreign to Orthodox ecclesiology.”

        At the October meeting of the Heads of the Autocephalous Churches, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew called upon them to “activate the 1993 agreement of the Inter-Orthodox Consultation of the Holy and Great Council in order to resolve the pending matter of the Orthodox Diaspora.”  This agreement provided a plan to establish an ‘Episcopal Assembly’ with appropriate authority for the bishops to guide the entire Church in each of the regions of the so-called Orthodox Diaspora.

        Acting as formal representatives of the Autocephalous Churches, the members of the Fourth Pre-Conciliar Conference in Chambésy affirmed “that it is the common will of all of the most holy Orthodox Churches that the problem of the Orthodox Diaspora be resolved as quickly as possible, and that it be organized in accordance with Orthodox ecclesiology, and the canonical tradition and practice of the Orthodox Church.” The Conference decided to establish an “Episcopal Assembly” in specific regions which are beyond the boundaries of the Autocephalous Churches. The Conference initially identified twelve regions throughout the world.  The Episcopal Assembly will include all the canonical Orthodox bishops in a given region such as North America. The representative of the Ecumenical Patriarch (in this case, Archbishop Demetrios of America) will chair the Episcopal Assembly in each region. The Assembly will meet yearly and will have an Executive Committee which will meet every three months. Other committees, composed of clergy and laity, will be established to address particular concerns.

        The texts that are linked below are the official English Translations and official Greek texts issued by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of the Communiqué, the Decision, and the Regulations.

        Links to all three below

        Communiqué - English ( pdf ) and Greek ( pdf )

        Decision English ( pdf ) and Greek ( pdf )

        Regulations English ( pdf ) and Greek ( pdf )

        Seraphim Larsen - Florence AZ - (520) 413-5957
        http://www.cactusforest.net

        On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM, <antiquariu@...> wrote:

        Dear in-Christ Al,

        Sure do.  Amissos is a titular see (long gone. . .) named after a town in Turkey on the Black Sea littoral.  Amissos was a site of a bishopric when this area belonged to a country known as the Pontus.  it's located a few miles from Samsun, which is how I know it.  Was there with the Air Force many years ago.

        The EP has a practice of assigning titular sees to the American Bishops and Metropolitans.  They appear to be assigned on an individual basis, because Met. Nicholas predecessor was not 'Amissos.'

        Vladimir Hindrichs

        In a message dated 11/1/2009 5:47:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, aggreen1@... writes:
        ***My bad read. Sorry.

        ***BTW, Metropolitan Nicholas has the title "of Amissos" after his name. I've yet to find anyone who knows where that is (or was). Do you know?