Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: St. Varus

  • Nicky1RK@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
      I can understand why this saint would want to save the Queen of the Nile.  She was, after all, somewhat like the "Jackie O" of her time and every patriotic Egyptian remembers her fondly (probably to this day still).

      Nikaoli

      From: "criostoir1971" <criostoir1971@ yahoo.com>

      > If anyone comes across a store which sells icons of St. Varus, or if the service is located online somewhere, would you please post the link to the list? Many thanks.
      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________

      Chris,

      This was placed on another Ortho dox list in 2003 by Jon West.  The priest of this church was a Father Kevin (IIRC) and he was distributing icons of Saint Varus.    With a bit of sleuthing you might locate him...

      Fr Ambrose
      --

      Today when visiting an ROCOR parish church, when I went up on the Rhand side
      to light a candle in front of the Russian-Greek style crucifix, I noticed on

      I was mesmerized by the prayer at the bottom of his icon. I read it three
      or four times. It said that he prayed for the family of Cleopatra ( not the
      Queen from Marc Antony's time) and they were saved. They were never
      baptized. The rest of the prayer was imploring God's mecry to save all of
      those who have never been baptized or been able to receive a " proper burial
      (sic)"

      The priest told me that this Saint was many years after St Gregory of Nyssa
      and it was ok to pray for those who are deceased who were never Christian,
      regardless of their choices made or rejected.

      I thought it was one of the most charitable things I have seen. It really
      affected me.

      Would anyone care to tell me more about this Saint and where I can read
      about him?

      Thank you

      Jon West

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM, <Nicky1RK@...> wrote:

        > I can understand why this saint would want to save the Queen of the Nile.
        > She was, after all, somewhat like the "Jackie O" of her time and every
        > patriotic Egyptian remembers her fondly (probably to this day still).

        [ml] From what I read of this saint's life, the Cleopatra in question
        was a convert to Christianity who was upset on behalf of her deceased
        relatives who hadn't had the opportunity to become Christians -- no
        relation to the Queen of the Nile.

        In Christ,
        Meg Lark