Re: [orthodox-rocor] Pope Values Orthodox Participation in Pauline Year

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
      On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Paul Bartlett <bartlett@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Al Green wrote:
      >
      > > ***In the short span of 37 years, Orthodoxy is looking less and less
      > > ***like the church I embraced back then. --Al
      > >
      > > Pope Values Orthodox Participation in Pauline Year
      > >
      > > VATICAN CITY, JUNE 28, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI welcomed a
      > > delegation sent by the Orthodox patriarch of Constantinople,
      > > Bartholomew I, to celebrate with the Pope the solemnity of Sts. Peter
      > > and Paul and the conclusion of the Pauline Year. [...]
      >
      > > [much trimmed for brevity]
      >
      > > In November 2006, Benedict XVI led the delegation himself, and last
      > > June Bartholomew I led the Orthodox delegation to Rome, which
      > > coincided with the opening of the Pauline Jubilee Year.
      >
      > > The Pope said the "sign of ecclesial fraternity" led him to confirm
      > > "that the Catholic Church intends to contribute in every possible way
      > > to the reestablishment of full communion. This is in response to
      > > Christ's will for his disciples, and recalling Paul's teaching in
      > > which he reminds us that we have been called to 'one hope.'"
      > > [...]
      >
      > Even as this list's mostly silent admittedly "apostate" reader, I find
      > this somewhat disheartening. If it should be that I would ever be able
      > to some back to anything that calls itself Christianity, it would
      > probably be to traditional Orthodoxy (albeit that my *personal*
      > preferences are for the Orthodox western liturgy and Orthodox Gregorian
      > chant -- let us not forget that the west was Orthodox for a thousand
      > years). My take on things is that the general attitude of Rome today
      > is somewhat smothering: keep your exoticism if you will, as long as you
      > submit to us.

      [ml] Always was. I can remember learning in high school that the
      goal of ecumenism was that all churches should "come home to Rome."

      However, it remains a fact that the Ecumenical Patriarch is not a
      Pope. There are other Patriarchates who would have to be on board
      with any union, and I don't believe that any of them are. This is
      probably why one prelate of Rome said, two years ago, that the Vatican
      had come to the conclusion that "there is no Orthodox Church" -- well,
      no, nothing that Catholics could understand, not in the sense that all
      they have to do is wear down the Ecumenical Patriarch and everybody
      else will fall in line. Doesn't work that way.

      In Christ,
      Meg
    • Shashkin | Шашкин
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2009
        I don't agree with that. This is just another --IMHO--desperate political stunt for the EP to garner headlines and attention. The attempts to call an Ecumenical Council or to gather other peoples under her wing (such as the Ukrainians, Estonians etc) are other examples. The Greek population in Constantinople and  Turkey has diminished dramatically since the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Orthodox Wiki cites some 3 million believers (http://orthodoxwiki.org/Church_of_Constantinople) but it doesn't say if those are only in Turkey or if they are including the Ukrainians and Carps in the US & Canada, the Exarchate of Paris etc. It doesn't appear that any reps from other Orthodox Churches were there.

        We don't know why God has allowed the EP to diminish in stature, but it appears more and more irrelevant to world Orthodoxy.