Re: [orthodox-rocor] Re: SCOBA ENCYCLICAL : Prison Ministry Awareness Sunday

    Message 1 of 7 , May 15 5:30 AM
      On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Al Green <aggreen1@...> wrote:

      > ***I believe, Meg, that Jesus would be pleased at ministering to prison inmates who may just be more in need of salvation than police officers. ;-) I posted the encyclical because the Moscow Patriarchate is now a member of SCOBA. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am, after all, a law and order type of guy (my favorite TV shows include Law & Order and Southland -- grin, grin).
      >
      > ***I thought most police forces or groups had chaplains? They do in my neck of the woods. That said, might it not be up to the individual police officers with marital problems to seek help from their priests or ministers, unlike the captive prisoners who are not free to go out and seek help on their own? (Just a thought.)

      [ml] My point is that those bases are already covered -- one could
      almost say, saturated -- by Western Christendom. Inmates know this,
      and take full advantage of the opportunity to "put one over" on prison
      visitors. Not to say that prison visitations don't bear fruit -- I
      personally know of two cases where they did -- but given the prison
      population, and applying the principle that "for every one you see,
      there's 50 you don't see," that's still a pathetic return on
      investment. If the Orthodox join the fray, they just become one more
      "do-gooder" organization in prison life.

      In this neck of the woods, it's a rare force indeed that has police
      chaplains. And tell me -- what cop in his right mind is going to seek
      help from someone who's just going to tell him that his problems are
      caused by his being a member of the Evil Oppressor Class?!?! Don't
      even try to tell me this doesn't happen, I've seen it, and I've heard
      it. It's part of the reason I came East.

      That Moscow has chosen to become part of SCOBA is as embarrassing as
      the decision to be part of the WCC. I can't believe that the ROCOR I
      know and love would have anything to do with SCOBA antics.

      In Christ,
      Meg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15 2:02 PM
        On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Fr Tryphon <frtryphon@...> wrote:

        > Christ is Risen!
        > There are plenty of chaplains serving police and fire departments, and, I am
        > one of them, having been a police/fire chaplain for about eight years. I've
        > had extensive yearly training, including a 57 hour live-in Police Chaplains
        > Academy, at the Washington Criminal Justice Center, where police are trained
        > for all departments in the State of Washington. Vashon Island had been
        > without a chaplain for over thirty years, and I was asked by the fire
        > fighters to take on this role, since the King County Chaplains were not
        > available for emergencies when the ferries were shut down for the night.  I
        > started serving in this capacity after having been a volunteer prison
        > chaplain for eight years. So, I've done both, and believe both are
        > important. I know of at least three other Orthodox priests who also serve
        > their communities in this capacity.

        [ml] I'm somewhat relieved to know that this is not a totally ignored
        ministry. So, there's you, Father Abbot, and three others you know,
        and one that I know of. That's five. *How* many police departments
        are there??

        I'm not disputing the importance of prison ministry, just saying that
        *it's already covered.* Many people in Western Christendom are
        already aware of it, and do it. I see far less willingness to handle
        the spiritual needs of police officers, and far more willingness to
        judge -- negatively -- the very people who put their lives on the line
        daily, so we can sleep in peace. Within the past two years in the
        tiny state of NH, we've lost three cops in the line of duty -- and
        who's there for their families and co-workers? The police
        psychologist?! Puh-leeze. Any cop can tell you how ineffectual these
        people are.

        Only Orthodoxy understands the true root of the despair that grips
        law-enforcement officers. Only Orthodoxy even *prays* for these
        people. My point is that SCOBA is just jumping on a bandwagon, rather
        than doing any real good in this matter.

        Kissing your right hand,
        Meg
      • John Billo
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17 6:56 PM
          Dear All,

          Meg wrote:

          "Only Orthodoxy understands the true root of the despair that grips law-enforcement officers."

          I believe we could exchange "law-enforcement officers" with anyone/anything. Sure, the heterodox are involved in many things, but do they do them from the proper perspective? Do we settle for 50, or 75 percent correct?

          I sure don't know the answer. There aren't enough volunteers to go around. We can't get enough folks to help around the church.

          Rdr. John Billo