Re: [orthodox-rocor] RE: OCA's New Skete

  • volotsky@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2002
      Dear David,

      You might be interested to know that Fr. Laurence at New Skete has been
      suspended for over a year for reasons not divulged publically and unknown to
      me. Of course he is no longer the abbot. What seemed to many a cover story
      about bad health was circulated by word of mouth.

      For years the Greek monastery in Brookline propounded elements of both
      doctine and praxis at variance with the main line of the Church Abroad. The
      same with Dormition Skete in Colorado. Both of these "got away with it", at
      least for a time, because of mis-guided kindness and perhaps a certain
      weakness even on the part of some hierarchs involved. Eventually they went
      there own way, and I suspect the same thing will happen when eventually
      hierarchical patience runs out with New Skete. I pray, on the contrary,
      however, that what good is there will grow and the things at variance with
      the doctrine and practice of the Orthodox Church in America and the rest of
      the local Orthodox Churches is pruned away. God grant that we may find the
      right way and Royal Path, neither diverging to the right or left.

      Love In Christ,
      Yousuf.
    • David Starr
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2002
        Dear Youssuf,
        Thanks for the clarifications and corrections on New Skete;
        it's the stavropegial aspect of the thing that concerns me most.
        I thought that at one time your Metropolitan had seen the skete
        as his Great Lavra-to-be, expecting to make it the model of OCA
        monasteries, as St. Vladimir's is its showpiece theological academy.
        Such models of adherence to orthodox Tradition, I don't think we
        need. Yes, the Synod has had its problems with monasteries, and
        thank you for not mentioning Blanco. But I don't think these have
        ever been planned, cultivated and protected as this one seems to have
        been. If I am wrong, I'll be very glad.
        Love in Christ,
        David