RE: [orthodox-readers] Re: Study Materials for Readers?

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 25, 2006
      The Shape of the Liturgy was the book that practicaly spawned much of the
      'Liturgical Movement' in the West. Dix was correct in some of his
      assumptions and conclusions, but wrong in others; but then he was working
      almost alone. I found the book more helpful when I was an Anglican (Dix was
      an Anglican Benedictine monk at Nashdom Abbey in England (house was built as
      a summer home by Baroness Dolgorucki, a Russian expat--Nash=our, dom=house!)
      He really does not cover the eastern rites in any great detail since he did
      not have as much interest in them except in a historical sense. Nashdom used
      a Roman rite exclusively, in Latin when I was there in 1960. The book is a
      good read anyway and worth the trouble to find.

      I thought that Wybrew's book was pretty good. Anything by Robert Taft, SJ is
      good too, if you want more detail than you thought there was! The Byzantine
      Liturgy by Hans-Joachim Schulz (pueblo publishing 1986-may be out of print)
      and Casimir Kucharek's Byzantine-Slav Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom are
      also helpful. Note that Wybrew is Anglican, and the other authors are RC.
      Go figger. We don't seem to be nurturing many 'liturgical scholars' of
      their ilk. I guess our guys are actually busy just praying and serving the
      liturgy.....

      Rdr. James Morgan
      Olympia, WA