Re: Study Materials for Readers?

  • Art Danks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2006
      Thank you Subdeacon John!

      Have you (or anyone else in the group) read "The Shape of the
      Liturgy", by Dom Gregory Dix? I'm wondering how the two books
      compare. Dix was Anglican, but was quite a scholar on the history of
      Liturgy.

      Rdr. John

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "John Congdon"
      <subdeaconjhcc@...> wrote:

      > Another good book about the historical development of the Divine
      > Liturgy is "The Orthodox Liturgy" by Hugh Wybrew.
      >
      > Subdeacon John
      >
      > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr. Vyacheslav"
      > <off2port@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I suggest the Order of Divine Services to get acquainted with the
      > > various parts of the services, what changes, what stays the
      same,
      > etc.
      > > Also, I remember reading a book about the liturgy by Fr. John
      > > Meyendorff, but it was a while ago and I don't remember what it
      was
      > > called. It was about the history of the liturgy, how/why it
      > developed
      > > the way it did, and it explained the importance of each part. It
      > > seemed to be a bit easier to read than other theological books.
      If
      > > you can find it based on that description, I would recommend it.
      > >
      > > Rdr. Slava
      > >

      > > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Art Danks" <artdanks1@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello everyone,
      > > >
      > > > I'm new to the group, and also fairly new at being a Reader
      > (tonsured
      > > > on Thomas Sunday of his year). I'm also a fairly recent
      convert
      > > > (Chrismated two years ago), so I'm still learning a lot about
      the
      > > > faith in general (former Protestant).
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know of any good reading/study material that would
      be
      > like
      > > > some sort of "Learners Manual" for beginners?
      > > >
      > > > Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Art Danks
      > > > aka Reader John

    • John Congdon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 25, 2006
        I've not read it myself, although there are some excerpts online at
        http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/shape_of_liturgy_g_dix
        .htm .

        Sdn John

        wrote:

        > Thank you Subdeacon John!
        >
        > Have you (or anyone else in the group) read "The Shape of the
        > Liturgy", by Dom Gregory Dix? I'm wondering how the two books
        > compare. Dix was Anglican, but was quite a scholar on the history
        of
        > Liturgy.
        >
        > Rdr. John
        >
        > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "John Congdon"
        > <subdeaconjhcc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Another good book about the historical development of the Divine
        > > Liturgy is "The Orthodox Liturgy" by Hugh Wybrew.
        > >
        > > Subdeacon John
        > >
        > > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr. Vyacheslav"
        > > <off2port@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I suggest the Order of Divine Services to get acquainted with
        the
        > > > various parts of the services, what changes, what stays the
        > same,
        > > etc.
        > > > Also, I remember reading a book about the liturgy by Fr. John
        > > > Meyendorff, but it was a while ago and I don't remember what it
        > was
        > > > called. It was about the history of the liturgy, how/why it
        > > developed
        > > > the way it did, and it explained the importance of each part.
        It
        > > > seemed to be a bit easier to read than other theological
        books.
        > If
        > > > you can find it based on that description, I would recommend it.
        > > >
        > > > Rdr. Slava
        > > >

        > > > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Art Danks"
        <artdanks1@>

        > > (tonsured
        > convert
        > the

        > be
        > > like

      • James Morgan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2006
          The Shape of the Liturgy was the book that practicaly spawned much of the
          'Liturgical Movement' in the West. Dix was correct in some of his
          assumptions and conclusions, but wrong in others; but then he was working
          almost alone. I found the book more helpful when I was an Anglican (Dix was
          an Anglican Benedictine monk at Nashdom Abbey in England (house was built as
          a summer home by Baroness Dolgorucki, a Russian expat--Nash=our, dom=house!)
          He really does not cover the eastern rites in any great detail since he did
          not have as much interest in them except in a historical sense. Nashdom used
          a Roman rite exclusively, in Latin when I was there in 1960. The book is a
          good read anyway and worth the trouble to find.

          I thought that Wybrew's book was pretty good. Anything by Robert Taft, SJ is
          good too, if you want more detail than you thought there was! The Byzantine
          Liturgy by Hans-Joachim Schulz (pueblo publishing 1986-may be out of print)
          and Casimir Kucharek's Byzantine-Slav Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom are
          also helpful. Note that Wybrew is Anglican, and the other authors are RC.
          Go figger. We don't seem to be nurturing many 'liturgical scholars' of
          their ilk. I guess our guys are actually busy just praying and serving the
          liturgy.....

          Rdr. James Morgan
          Olympia, WA