Re: Study Materials for Readers?

  • Art Danks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 23, 2006
      Thanks Reader Alexander, and everyone else that has responded so far.

      These all look like very helpful resouces! I look forward to diving
      into each one.

      As far as whether I'm looking for the order of services, or the
      actual intonation...probably both. I think I've actually been ok
      with the intoning. Everyone at our parish (we have several "Lay
      Readers") just sort of does their own "style". I try to copy what
      our previous Reader did, as I figure that was probably correct. But
      who knows? If there is any training material on that, that would be
      great.

      I'm getting better at understanding the order of services, as I have
      also been the choir director since last September. It's been pretty
      gruelling to learn, but I'm getting there. Kind of the "learn as you
      go" method. So any materials on that would be very helpful too.

      Thanks again for your assistance.

      Rdr. John

      --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Langley"
      <alexlangley@...> wrote:

      > Congratulations on becoming a reader, Reader John!
      >
      > I have found the following helpful, for myself both as a reader
      and
      > choir member:
      >

      > The Order of Divine Services (Fekula and Williams)
      > The Rubriks (published annually by St. Tikhon's, available at
      > stspress.com)
      >
      > "Instructions for the Church Reader"
      > http://www.roca.org/OA/157/157k.htm
      >
      > "Reader Service Horologion"
      > http://www.saintjonah.org/services/
      >
      > The Festal Menaion
      > Russian Church Singing (von Gardner)
      > Evening Worship (Uspensky)
      >
      > These are not all expressly targetted at readers, but anyone
      having
      > a leadership role in a service would find these useful. I find
      that
      > having reader services at home (especially matins) helps
      > me "practice" putting the services together. This all stems from
      > former priest taking time with me to plan an Resurrection Vigil
      > services.
      >
      > All that said, were you looking for help with regard to the
      > organization or services or that actual "act" of intoning the
      words
      > of the readings or music?
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Rdr. Alexander
      >

      > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Art Danks" <artdanks1@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone,
      > >
      > > I'm new to the group, and also fairly new at being a Reader
      > (tonsured
      > > on Thomas Sunday of his year). I'm also a fairly recent convert
      > > (Chrismated two years ago), so I'm still learning a lot about
      the
      > > faith in general (former Protestant).
      > >
      > > Does anyone know of any good reading/study material that would
      be
      > like
      > > some sort of "Learners Manual" for beginners?
      > >
      > > Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Art Danks
      > > aka Reader John

    • Art Danks
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2006
        Thank you Subdeacon John!

        Have you (or anyone else in the group) read "The Shape of the
        Liturgy", by Dom Gregory Dix? I'm wondering how the two books
        compare. Dix was Anglican, but was quite a scholar on the history of
        Liturgy.

        Rdr. John

        --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "John Congdon"
        <subdeaconjhcc@...> wrote:

        > Another good book about the historical development of the Divine
        > Liturgy is "The Orthodox Liturgy" by Hugh Wybrew.
        >
        > Subdeacon John
        >
        > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr. Vyacheslav"
        > <off2port@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I suggest the Order of Divine Services to get acquainted with the
        > > various parts of the services, what changes, what stays the
        same,
        > etc.
        > > Also, I remember reading a book about the liturgy by Fr. John
        > > Meyendorff, but it was a while ago and I don't remember what it
        was
        > > called. It was about the history of the liturgy, how/why it
        > developed
        > > the way it did, and it explained the importance of each part. It
        > > seemed to be a bit easier to read than other theological books.
        If
        > > you can find it based on that description, I would recommend it.
        > >
        > > Rdr. Slava
        > >

        > > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Art Danks" <artdanks1@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello everyone,
        > > >
        > > > I'm new to the group, and also fairly new at being a Reader
        > (tonsured
        > > > on Thomas Sunday of his year). I'm also a fairly recent
        convert
        > > > (Chrismated two years ago), so I'm still learning a lot about
        the
        > > > faith in general (former Protestant).
        > > >
        > > > Does anyone know of any good reading/study material that would
        be
        > like
        > > > some sort of "Learners Manual" for beginners?
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Art Danks
        > > > aka Reader John

      • John Congdon
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 25, 2006
          I've not read it myself, although there are some excerpts online at
          http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/shape_of_liturgy_g_dix
          .htm .

          Sdn John

          wrote:

          > Thank you Subdeacon John!
          >
          > Have you (or anyone else in the group) read "The Shape of the
          > Liturgy", by Dom Gregory Dix? I'm wondering how the two books
          > compare. Dix was Anglican, but was quite a scholar on the history
          of
          > Liturgy.
          >
          > Rdr. John
          >
          > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "John Congdon"
          > <subdeaconjhcc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Another good book about the historical development of the Divine
          > > Liturgy is "The Orthodox Liturgy" by Hugh Wybrew.
          > >
          > > Subdeacon John
          > >
          > > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr. Vyacheslav"
          > > <off2port@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I suggest the Order of Divine Services to get acquainted with
          the
          > > > various parts of the services, what changes, what stays the
          > same,
          > > etc.
          > > > Also, I remember reading a book about the liturgy by Fr. John
          > > > Meyendorff, but it was a while ago and I don't remember what it
          > was
          > > > called. It was about the history of the liturgy, how/why it
          > > developed
          > > > the way it did, and it explained the importance of each part.
          It
          > > > seemed to be a bit easier to read than other theological
          books.
          > If
          > > > you can find it based on that description, I would recommend it.
          > > >
          > > > Rdr. Slava
          > > >

          > > > --- In orthodox-readers@yahoogroups.com, "Art Danks"
          <artdanks1@>

          > > (tonsured
          > convert
          > the

          > be
          > > like

        • James Morgan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 25, 2006
            The Shape of the Liturgy was the book that practicaly spawned much of the
            'Liturgical Movement' in the West. Dix was correct in some of his
            assumptions and conclusions, but wrong in others; but then he was working
            almost alone. I found the book more helpful when I was an Anglican (Dix was
            an Anglican Benedictine monk at Nashdom Abbey in England (house was built as
            a summer home by Baroness Dolgorucki, a Russian expat--Nash=our, dom=house!)
            He really does not cover the eastern rites in any great detail since he did
            not have as much interest in them except in a historical sense. Nashdom used
            a Roman rite exclusively, in Latin when I was there in 1960. The book is a
            good read anyway and worth the trouble to find.

            I thought that Wybrew's book was pretty good. Anything by Robert Taft, SJ is
            good too, if you want more detail than you thought there was! The Byzantine
            Liturgy by Hans-Joachim Schulz (pueblo publishing 1986-may be out of print)
            and Casimir Kucharek's Byzantine-Slav Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom are
            also helpful. Note that Wybrew is Anglican, and the other authors are RC.
            Go figger. We don't seem to be nurturing many 'liturgical scholars' of
            their ilk. I guess our guys are actually busy just praying and serving the
            liturgy.....

            Rdr. James Morgan
            Olympia, WA